Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

What do I eat now - diabetic ?

Found out I’m diabetic. Thanks to pcos I’m 5’5 and 240lbs. She’s not sending me to a nutritionist for another 5 weeks. So what do I eat? I don’t use sugar and already eat just veggies and protein. How often do I eat? How much do I eat?

• Shay

ALL carbohydrates become sugar in the blood.  Eating low carbohydrate choices and learning the difference between "fast carbs" and "slow carbs" can help with balancing choices and changing eating habits to help control sugar levels.

Fast carbs are any foods that digest quickly and cause a sudden sugar spike.  White grains are a great example of a fast carb.  Potatoes are another fast carb.

Slow carbs take longer to digest and don't cause a sudden sugar spike.  Whole grains and most vegetables are slow carbs.

Even dairy has carbohydrates.  Lactose is actually a form of natural sugar.  It doesn't mean you avoid dairy.  It just means you need to read labels and consider how big of a serving you are going to have.

Meat from the butcher's counter has no carbohydrates.  Things like chicken, hamburger, steak, pork chops, and any other fresh cut of meat that has not been breaded or processed has no carbohydrates and will not raise sugar levels.  This also includes eggs.   For any meat that has been processed, breaded, or in a sauce, you would need to read the labels to check for carbohydrate content and any added sugars.  

Until you get a chance to talk with a dietitian about your carbohydrate goals for the day, you can start from a basic goal of not eating more than 50 carbohydrates per meal and not more than 200 total carbohydrates per day and make sure those carbohydrates are coming from the slow carb choices as much as possible.  If  you do some google searches, you can find a lot of information about slow carbs and fast carbs to help get you started on a list of safer foods.

So - how often to eat.  Eat three meals a day like a normal person would.  Eat one to two snacks per day if you are hungry between meals.  The goal would be not to exceed  your recommended daily carbohydrate amount.  Until you talk to a dietitian, you really won't know what YOUR goal is actually going to be.  The "goal" I used is only an example and might not match your dietary needs.

As for how much to eat - that is going to partially be based on WHAT you decide to eat for each meal.  For example, if you decide you want pasta for dinner, you can have pasta - but 50 carbohydrates worth of pasta really isn't that much food.  But, you could have a huge serving of low carbohydrate vegetables and a 16 ounce steak and end up with way fewer carbs than the serving of pasta.  Or, at breakfast, you could have eggs, bacon, and sausage and your carbohydrates for the meal would be at none unless you also have toast or fruit with it.  

A diabetic can still eat anything they want to.  It is really about balancing how much of it they eat and making sure that they don't go over their daily carbohydrate goal.  My husband is diabetic.  When he wants a treat, like a piece of cake at a birthday party, he will make sure not to eat any bread or pasta on that day and make sure all his other food choices are the very lowest carb choices so he can have that sugary treat.  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325586

Diabetics should eat frequent small meals. Avoid refined sugar! Some vegetables contain natural sugar which you should be careful of. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat them, but be wary of the natural sugar content. Fruit is fine; but again, watch out for the natural sugar. Lean meats are a good idea as well. By all means, AVOID COOKIES, CAKE, DONUTS, ETC. ET.C

• Lv 7

don't eat until you are "full". eat until you are not starving anymore.

Regular meals because you want the food to download long and slow rather in sharp spikes.  

Look at low GI foods (generally speaking).  It isn't a 100% perfect, but you want to have like oats for breakfast or a meal of brown rice, veggies and protein or similar.  You want the meal to keep you full to the next meal - you could do 3 meals and "snacks" (eg a cup of vegie soup mid afternoon or some salad stuff is a yes, a packet of chips, a chocolate bar and ice cream is not good) or you could do 6 smaller meals (eg if a full meal = 1 cup of rice,1.5 cups of steamed vegies and 100gms of protein then you'd split it in two and have it at 11 and 2 or whatever for lunch rather than noon for a main lunch.)

maybe you should ask if you can see the nutritionist sooner

Add exercise to your regimen

Source(s): I'm a former wellness counselor.