Did women in the 60’s used to sleep with their hair in beehives?

Or did they used to detangle it all and tease it again the morning?

I recall my mom and her sisters removing the beehives, placing the hair on the wig-stand and wrapping some sort of bandana type fabric around their real hair. If you search advertising from that era you'll find plenty of ads for scarfs, headwraps and "kerchiefs" designed and made for keeping hair in place while sleeping of when out and about on windy days. A lot of those giant beehive styles were a combination of real hair, extension-like wiglets and full head wigs. And I recall that the best updos needed a few day's worth of hairspray built up on the hair. 

Sometimes they would wrap it in a scarf before bedtime. It kept the hairdo from tangling while sleeping. Sometimes they would brush out the hairdo and set it in prickly "brush rollers" to keep its shape--and in the morning would re-tease it into the beehive shape. There were a lot of urban legends about women who did not comb out their hair and had insects or spiders in the teased parts--but these were just phony stories. Usually a woman did her hair that way once a week--which meant combing it out, washing it, using a detangler, and then re-teasing it into the beehive shape. It was a real pain, believe me. Literally pain--teased hair often got very damaged and fell out, and the scalp was not stimulated. By the time the mid-sixties came along teasing hair had gone thankfully out of fashion for the most part. 

They may have tried but I suspect getting stung would have stopped that pretty quick.

• Emma J1 month agoReport

🤣🤣🤣

• Lili

Most women in the 60s didn't WEAR "beehives".

Just so you know.

"Bouffant" styles (like Jackie Kennedy's) were the most popular, but as with beehives, women either brushed out the hairspray at night and redid the styles the next morning, or they wrapped their hair in silk scarves for sleeping.

And by the mid-60s, those styles were going out of fashion and much more natural looks were becoming popular.

I think they used rollers to keep the shape while sleeping and wrapped it up

No we didn't.  We combed it out at night and redid it in the morning.

Source(s): I'm an old lady.

Yes most of them did. They used special pillowcases and * tons* of hairspray.

yeah