Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 5 months ago

What counts as culture appropriation?

I'm just wondering where the line is.

I've had a couple Maori culture practices installed in me since birth, to the point that I get uncomfortable when people sit on tables as I intrinsically consider it offensive. Is this culture appropriation.

Maori myths and legends were my bed time stories and taught to me throughout my childhood at school and at home. Does this count as culture appropriation?

My community gatherings would often involve an Umu, rather than a BBQ. My childhood was spent helping prepare it under the instruction of our Neighbor of Cook Island origin. Does this count as culture appropriation?

• Zirp

- claiming that apple-pie and coleslaw are american inventions

- claiming to be an ethnicity when you don't even speak the language

- dressing like a priest when you know nothing of the religion

That is not cultural appropriation, but cultural learning. You were taught cultural practices by people who raised you. Cultural appropriation is when you are forced to behave certain ways by others with a different culture.

For example, if you go to England and drive, then you have to drive on the left side of the street. That is cultural appropriation if you grew up in a country that makes people drive on the right side of the road.

i dont think people should sit on tables either