DMV screwed up license?

I applied for my over 21 license when NY sent me a letter saying I need to.  When I went, I told the people I was applying for my over 21 license. They asked my birthdate. I told them.  They said ok, and I went forward and paid the literal 90 dollars for a new license that would not say under 21 on it.  It arrives today and says “Under 21.”  I look on the website and it says if you apply more than 40 days in advance you will get one that says “Under 21.”  I applied at 42 days.  So explain to me why the DMV approved me when I specifically said what I was applying for and they knew I wouldn’t get it!!! There are no signs hanging in the DMV, I know because I sat there waiting and reading all the signs for at least an hour.   The only information on that is BURIED in their website.  Can I get an actual license or will I have to pay all over? And before you say it’s a valid license still, shut up.  I am an adult and I do not want “Under 21” on my license until I am 29.

People saying that’s it’s immature to care about this, no it’s not. It’s inconvenient and I shouldn’t have to pay for a license that is going to make my life difficult going forward. I already have difficulties at airports without people assuming I’m using an expired license.  And as for “simple math” yes, I am aware that it is outside the 40 days. What I am saying is this rule was not properly communicated.  And yes, my license was expiring! 

• zipper

You should of asked them about this before you did it. They did not make the mistake you did trying to rush things!  BOOO HOOOO!

Welcome to the world of Adults. Now, act like one. Take your complaint to the DMV. Write to them (Email) & without the anger & self pity, ask for a refund. You're still a child, WAAAAA

You screwed up, not the DMV.  The DMV has way more lawyers than you do, so end of debate.

• May

The DMV didn't "screw up the license".... YOU screwed up the license.

Besides, You are addressing your question to the wrong people.  We here have no power over and cannot speak for your DMV.  Instead, you must ask your "WHY"question of your DMV.  I can guess that they will tell you what you should already know.   That is that the DMV rules specifically stated that to get a over 21 licence you must apply less than 40 days before your birthday.  You applied 3 days too soon to get your over 21 license.  Sorry but I believe that you will have to live with the decision that YOU and YOU alone made.

Juveniles often play the "Blame transfer" game

That stinks 😉

The DMV did not screw up your licence, you screwed up the application.

The time to look on the website and check the terms and conditions is before you part with any money.

Five minutes spent reading the original letter and working out how many days remained until your birthday (40 days is just under 6 weeks) would have saved you $90.

As it is you've just had a $90 lesson on the importance of checking details before proceeding.

• Ron

I look on the website and it says if you apply more than 40 days in advance you will get one that says “Under 21.” I applied at 42 days. 

42 is more than 40. That's basic math.

You might be physically by birth year an adult but by maturity level you are not.

I do not want an "under 21" on my ID....

Why do you think the DMV seny you this notice to get the "under 21" removed from your id?

- was it because your id no longer "worked" after you turned 21?  NO!!!

- was it because people like you with the sense of a toad will pay $90 to get the "under 21" tag removed?  Yep... that's why it exists and it appears not only did they make $90 from you, they are going to make $180 from you.

• A Hunch

Winona, why do people think your license is expired?  The only thing I can think of is that you look way older-- that's too bad... If at 20 you already look like 30, then at 30 are you going to look like 45?

They'll never fix their mistake. Go back to the DMV and get a new license (and cough up the $$ for it)

• Ron

It wasn't their mistake