Michelangelo women?

why do the women in Michelangelo's work look like blokes?  the bodies, face look very masculine.

I heard that not many offered to be life drawing models so many artists used naked men as their models. But still other artists like Raphael, Leonardo da vinci made very feminine looking women.

• Lili

Female models were really not used at all, unless they were the artists' wives or lovers, not in the 16th century.  Leonardo wasn't using female models but rather operating from his imagination or using his young male apprentices, some of whom were as young as 10.  Raphael used his mistress (or the woman we think was his mistress) for a number of his female figures.

Michelangelo largely operated from his imagination, too, though would have used male models and assistants to block out poses and positions.

In fact, Michelangelo painted some quite feminine figures in the Sistine -- look at the Ancestor lunettes and also some of the ignudi.  The Delphic Sibyl is also quite beautiful. And may I remind you of the gorgeous young Virgin of the first Pieta?

I guess I never noticed til you asked. Hmm? I’ll ask my uncle Bill who knows everything, and get back to ya.