What matters in life? I'm just gonna die anyway, our feelings of significance is just an illusion?

In the end we all die, but our society teaches that we have to care about this and that. Who's better or not, whether you're winning or failing, etc.... none of it really matters, it's just a perception/feeling.

the now and the moment, he has not yet realized that he can move a mountain if he wants

the possibility matters

move small things first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wIvyOIvbk0

Youtube thumbnail

My dude what you are thinking is nothing new but this kind of realization is a profound one, this one is similar to what Gautama Buddha thought when he saw for himself that everyone eventually dies in suffering....so if you are eventually going to die then why is there this present moment and you as it's experiencer, their is still place for curiosity to think about it and i hope you find it on your own because i don't want to feed you answers....since it does'nt matter anyway,,,,it's just a ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzQuE1pR1w

Youtube thumbnail

• GA41

You may be on the cusp of Wisdom. ---->"Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. (Matthew 10:39)

Protagoras said, "Man is the measure of all things." If you live your life oblivious of the rest of humanity, devoid of any purpose, and blind to the beauty, ugliness, joy, sorrow and pain that the rest of us experience, and most important of all, without love, then you're right: nothing matters and your life has no meaning. I find it incredible that you cannot experience these things. You would have to lack all perception of the external world and just exist. The key to finding meaning in your life is to discover in each succeeding day something new, and that involves not just the world, but the people in it. I know that in and of itself my life is meaningless. However, I have found meaning in trying to make the world a little better for having lived. We are all traveling the same road to oblivion, but we travel together. 

We survived through the realization that we are weak, but if we banded together and helped one another we could kill all of our predators and survive in the environment in which we lived. 

That's how I found meaning: by trying to help my brothers and sisters. I have spent my life as a teacher. I tried to give my students a small facet of what they would need to know to survive in this world. I felt that if I could inspire two students to go on and in their way try to make the world a better place, then my life will have had meaning and the world will be one person better for my having lived. I know I have done this because I have had more than one tell me so, sometimes as long as twenty years after they were in my class.So my advice to you is to forget yourself and seek meaning through what you can do for all the souls you meet on that same path. Many of us probably never think of it, but we all help one another. The farmer who grows your food, the police who try to keep you safe, the nurses, doctors, and care givers, the bricklayers, the food servers,......all the things that are done for us to make our lives possible and better are done by others and give their lives meaning too. We really do care for one another but it's seldom evident unless some disaster like 9/11 or Fukushima  invokes the love we all share. That's the key to give meaning to your life. Do not allow all the negative examples you give to blind you to the essential goodness of your companions on that same road. I believe that next to I love you, the three most important words an any language are "Let me help!"

• I would rather die fighting then whimpering in a corner. I exist. I am. I am not a nothing.

You cannot gloss over me. I am a fact. I am a reality. Whether I die or live, that is what will never change. 

I feel because I feel something. Without the something there is no feeling. I perceive because there is something to be perceived. My feeling and perception did not arise from nothing. They are not arbitrary. They may be unique to me, but they are very real.

The external is made of logic and the internal is made of sensation. Just like the difference between a scene and the photograph taken of it. Instead of a bunch of exact measurements you have a bunch of coloured dots. The mind must identify the image. It must make feelings and perceptions. It must create a world inside the mind in which everything is consistent with every other thing. This is how we know the world. And then the universe.

As we get to know the universe we get to know reality. And reality is eternal and unchanging. The universe is chaos, it shifts and changes. There are no norms in existence which last. But there is truth. Which I think is related to being. Truth implies beings and beings imply the truth. Being what something is even if just for the instant there is truth which is implied. And the repercussions of the truth are infinite and effect all things. All being and all truth are constantly at play with each other. 

I like what Matt Dillahunty says in rebuttal to this point.

A car is just going to turn into scrap metal at the end of its life anyways, so why even bother having one? We put value on the car 'now', even knowing that it will someday turn into scrap metal.

We can value our lives now, even knowing that we'll someday be dead. 

You live and feel right now. In the grand scheme of the universe we're insignificant, but we still feel. Try and work together with other people to make the ride a pleasant experience. 

Getting to know and serve your Creator and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, and getting prepared for eternity. 

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)
  • Liz

What matters in life is the reason why we were created in the first place - to seek God. He has given us his word, the Bible which offers hope  to everyone that this life is not all there is. The article on the website below discusses this.

Source(s): wol.jw.org/g 12/07 Is Death Really the End?
    • username_hidden

This would be a good answer if it didn't include a link to a Jehovah's Wittness website. You cannot find truth there - they do not even use an accurate translation of the Bible.

• Joseph

Draw a line, point A at the beginning point Z at the end. Point A is the start of your life point Z is the end. All that lies between the start and the end belongs to YOU, no one else. Use it, enjoy it, it does not last forever.

• Petter

Everything matters or nothing matters. It's all about how you view things, but your only chance to affect things are now, not when you are dead.