promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Should the U.S. apologise for dropping nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War 2?

Is a formal apology necessary? Weren't the bombs a more merciful outcome than a land invasion? Should Japan apologise for their atrocities in the war as well? Should anyone have to apologise for their actions during war, especially wars from the past? Is it really in the past if the effects of nuclear radiation are still being felt?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

No.  Dropping the bombs saved somewhere between twelve million and 37 million Japanese lives.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No.

We should recognize that it was a terrible, terrible thing, but it was the right thing to do.                            

• 2 months ago

As soon as Japan apologizes for the Rape of Nanking, invading Manchuria in 1931, China in 1937, and so on...

And, as soon as Japan apologizes for not facing reality and surrendering BEFORE the Bombs HAD to be dropped on them.

• TedEx
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Didn't Obama take care of that?????

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No. We did not start the war but we sure ended it.

• Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=americans+who+funded+the+nazis+&*

• 2 months ago

should Grogs tribe apologise to Uggas tribe for raiding them in 12,837 BC?

• 2 months ago

No. Vaporizing 80,000 people was the better option at the time and millions more Japanese survived because of that.

• 2 months ago

I fail to see how any apology will change the result of such actions. As far as I'm concerned the Japanese started the war against the US. They should have listened to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto regarding the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor by forces of Imperial Japan when he supposedly said: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." That might have been a time to make such an apology. The response by the United States Military was to defend itself and drive the Japanese to their knees in surrender. The atomic bombs were a means to that end. Japan was warned before they were dropped and chose to ignore those warnings to their peril. The result is nothing that the United States needs to apologize for, in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Only if the US feels better after apologising, otherwise they can continue to sit on the naughty step.

• 2 months ago

Nope.  No apology needed. 

Had an invasion been necessary to force Japan into defeat then I believe there is a good chance the Japanese islands today would not be inhabited by Japanese people. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.