promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

Why do british people drive manuals?

I’ve driven both manuals and automatics in the UK and automatics are so much easier and smoother to use even on narrow british roads. Manuals I keep having to change gears every all the time due to unpredictable british roads and change in speed.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

While I don't live in the UK, I simply enjoy driving a vehicle with a stick shift more.  It's more fun and engaging compared to driving with an auto, in my humble opinion of course.  Other people disagree and that's fine.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Not many years ago, manuals always got better fuel mileage then automatics. Fuel is VERY expensive in Europe due to heavy taxation. 

Now, autos are becoming more popular as there is no mileage penalty.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why does Anyone? All my vehicles are Manual. I'm in the US. There are 48 New cars still available with manual  .Even if not, older ones are still out there.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Probably because historically they have been cheaper to buy, mopst people learnt to drive a manual and there is a misconception that somehow you're not in "total control"., which is complete rubbish.

I wish more people would drive them. Many people never master a smooth gear change in their whole life and many dangerous overtakings are carried out by some one in the wrong gear. A lot of these people who "must have full control", never change gear enough and end up holding up the traffic as they drive at 25mph in 6th and wonder why there's no acceleration.

Many people who would probably enjoy and benefit from an auto , just never have tried one.

However, as hybrids and EVs come in, manuals will disappear. Hybrids all have CVTs which are dreadful and EVs don'thave gears.

On the downside it can't be long before the "facebook and drive" gang suss out that you can use a mobile easier with an auto.#

I always specify an automatic car when hiring abroad, as it's much easier when sitting on the wrong side.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Katie
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

98% of vehicles for sale in the UK are manuals.

Automatics are VERY VERY expensive to buy, run and maintain.

• F
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Granted they add around £1000-1500 to a new car, buy expensive to run? You're in the past, most autos are more fuel efficient than manuals now. Expensive to maintain? The gear box usually lasts the life of the car. Depending on the driver , at least one new clutch might be needed at £600-£1000.

• 2 months ago

They are cheaper to manufacture and when you're paying $5-$6 for the US equivalent for a gallon of fuel, you want to get as many MPG's as possible. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The low car price advertised on a new car is one with a manual transmission.  The first cars to come out had a manual transmission.  Once you learn on a manual you never are stuck.  Sports cars come with manual transmissions as there is something to shifting when you want to shift,  You don't have to shift, but there is that sound of power that a sports car has when it is shifted through a corner that an automatic just can't make the same.

.  It is fun to be in control.

.  Also, so it seems the car is harder to steal.

• 2 months ago

to make us americans that like manuals jealous since they don't make them anymore

• BS
      https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-manual-transmission-cars. 

• 2 months ago

The United Kingdom has an exacting training regime prior to anyone passing their practical driving test. It usually takes up to 20 hours of tuition before anyone is ready for the test. Until then the learner driver must be accompanied by a qualified driver whenever they are behind the wheel. Tuition is usually by professional instructors and students are taught on manual cars from day one.

Should they decide to take their test in an automatic vehicle then their licence is restricted to automatic vehicles only. The minimum age for car drivers is 17 (18 in many other parts of Europe)

In America apparently kids as young as 15 are allowed out on the road with minimum (if any) instruction from their parent(s) all they need to know is how to point it in the right direction and make it go. There is no instruction on a manual box as many parents don't know how to drive one either.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I think the thumb downs are probably because this answer doesn’t actually explain why automatics are less common on our side of the pond to begin with. If we had been awash with oil and had people like Rockerfeller and Getty pushing for big torquey gas-guzzlers then we’d also drive mostly automatics

• Anton
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The majority of British are * competent * drivers.  Competent drivers find manual transmissions to the easy to use; have no problem to keep in the correct gear to keep the engine happy.  Competent drivers *enjoy* manual transmissions.  (This is why in the U.S., 97% of automobiles have automatic transmissions.)

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

When did you last drive on a British Road unless you mean 51% as the majority?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.