What's the most uncommon mythical creatures you know of?

Like unicorns, angels, dolphins or hydras, but these mythical creatures are often seen in movies, so they are considered common.

Anyone knows of some uncommon examples?

several interesting answers, the coffee cup creatures made me laugh. Finsolonica mustiodorus is disqualified, because not even google can find any info on it, so it could as well just be random words made up as a troll, lol..

mermaids/golems are rather common, the wendigo while rather uncommon, you can see it in games/moves every now and then.

most uncommon is a short thread between hippocampus and enfield, but i think enfield wins just because i never even heard of it before now

Probably the enfield.

• AgProv

As in the poltergeist that haunted that house in Enfield?  Or in the sense of the Mark Four 0.303 calibre bolt action rifle?

An Alpha male human

Dolphins are NOT mythological creatures. They are very real. People see them all the time in oceans and aquariums. People even train them to perform in shows. Not t.v. shows, but actual live shows where people come to see them perform in person.

• JOHN B

Oh man, I love this question.  I've even written definitive work on the subject, although no publisher has yet made me an offer.  Those closed-minded morons!  Anyway, lemmy introduce you to a life form that has lived right under our noses for decades, possibly centuries, yet has never been mentioned in any scientific journal known to peoplekind (sorry, I'm Canadian).

The unknown mythical creatures in question are The Coffee Cup Creatures.  My scientific observations, titled The Little Creatures In The Coffee Cup (yes I suck at clever titles, I admit it), has been submitted to countless research facilities around the world.  Oxford, UCLA, University of Waterloo, Columbia, MIT, Penn State, all of them have consistently ignored my research.  

But I know I'm right.  Why do milk, sugar and / or cream dissolve so easily in a cup of coffee, you may ask?  It's the same answer every time, the coffee cup creatures.  They produce an as-yet unknown enzyme between the coffee, hot water and the aforementioned additives that make coffee more enjoyable.  You can even see them with the naked eye, in fact.

But will those 'serious' scientific types take my research seriously?  Hell no.  They'd rather indulge themselves with flights of fancy like gravity, climate change and nuclear physics and other academic claptrap.

Now you know.

• Jerome

The Golem.......

In Jewish folklore, a golem is an animated anthropomorphic being that is created entirely from inanimate matter. The word was used to mean an amorphous, unformed material in Psalms and medieval writing. The most famous golem narrative involves Judah Loew ben Bezalel, the late-16th-century rabbi of Prague. 

The wendigo is a mythological man-eating creature or evil spirit from the folklore of the First Nations Algonquian tribes based in the northern forests of Nova Scotia, the East Coast of Canada, and Great Lakes Region of Canada and the United States. The wendigo is described as a monster with some characteristics of a human or as a spirit who has possessed a human being and made them become monstrous.

Yeah...

Finsolonica mustiodorus.

Never heard of it?

Well, there you go for "uncommon".

• Tommy2 months agoReport

not even google knows of it

A yahoo employee with a high school diploma. 

• David

My wife for over 20 years when she gets into one of her unpredictable moods and changes into somekind of a mythical creature. 

.