promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

New Car engine ?

I have a 2001 Range Rover with a blown head gasket, I’ve been to several mechanics and they say to just sell it but I love it to much. Any idea how much a new engine would run me, or any idea of how to fix this issue?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

replace the head gasket NOT the whole engine

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You replace the bad head gasket, if that all it is. A new engine about $5000. plus labor putting it in. A good Jasper rebuild is about $1500 plus labor for a range rover piece of junk!

• 2 months ago

You can try new paper head gaskets

• 2 months ago

A head gasket repair is half the price of a new engine.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Depends on labor time and how much your local machine shop would charge to rebuild that particular engine. Likely come in under $5K parts and labor. Might find a rebuilt Jasper engine with a 3 year 50K mile warranty for the same total cost. 

• Mr. L.
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Two Words:  Money Pit

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

My browsing has come up with apprx. $1500 to fix with no other problems. Kelly blue book value around $2500 depending on condition. Fair condition $1500 ex. condition $3000. If it takes a new engine fugit about it!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Mechanics say sell it because they have seen this pig over and over again.  It is a pain.

• 2 months ago

Why you asking us? Get the dealer and a private mechanic to give you an estimate!

If antifreeze got into the oil get a rebuilt or used motor.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am surprised 'several mechanics'  have advised you to sell it. Most would be pleased to give you a price to replace the head gasket. Replacing the gasket would cost a very small fraction of an engine replacement. You need to talk to more mechanics.

• ...Show all comments
    • arther
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Barry when you fix something and it fails again in 6 months time do you fix it again no charge? When we fix something its fixed properly if you dud it up you wont make any money. The customers that want dud have no money and the customers with money don't want duds.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.