Confused about carry-on and check in bags.?

21st of February 2020 I am flying to Florida with my parents to visit my grandmother. I thought I purchased a carry-on bag from TJ Maxx and its dimensions are actually 24x17x11.5. we are flying on American airlines and I've been looking up some information and I know the carry-on baggage is 22x14x9 but I haven't been able to get a clear answer if I would be able to do a gate check or if I'll have to pay for a checked bag and if I would get my checked bag around the same time as my parents would for their carry-on bags. I don't know if weight would have a factor but my bag weighs less than 31 lb. Thanks for any answers

Had to check my bag so the size bag I have is NOT carry on. FYI

The bag you purchased as a "carry on" bag won't be accepted as carry on by American Airlines. The size is the thing. Carry ons MUST be able to fit in the overhead lockers.

It would be cheaper for you to buy another bag that complies with your airlines requirements.

• MS

If your bag is larger than what they allow for a carry-on, then you cannot expect to be allowed to gate check it for free.  You MIGHT be allowed, but you will not know until you get to the gate.  Your bag is bigger than what is allowed on all 3 sides, so there is a decent chance they will stop you, but you never know.  If you do have to pay for a checked bag, then you will have to pick it up at baggage claim in the airport.  If your parents have carry-on bags, then they will have them with them when they depart the plane.

• drip

Your parents would be carrying their carry on bag on the plane with them and off the plane with them. A checked bag would require you to go to the baggage claim and wait for to be unloaded from the plane and take to the baggage claim area.  That can be 15-30 minutes.  By the time you disembark and get to the baggage claim area it isn’t much of a wait. 

There are sizers at the airport. You can put your bag in to it and see if it fits for a carry on.

I have seen people about to board that have their carry on bag checked for size and weight.  You can pay and have it checked in at that time.

Why not just  return the luggage and get one the right size?  

• DEBS

There are a lot of variables here and most have to do with the gate agents working.  Technically if you go through security with a bag too big, you should be charged at the gate to check it (some airlines actually charge more than if you did it correctly.)  The reality is, however, that if it's close like yours it won't be questioned.

If you're on a smaller regional jet, it's very common for them to ask a significant number of people to gate-check their luggage.  That means it's checked to your destination and gets picked up like normal checked luggage or you wait for your bag on the ramp.  Each airport procedure is different so you have to ask if they're gate checking it.

• Kelly2 months agoReport

Thank you

No airline has ever measured my carry on bag. No major airline has weighed my carry on bag in decades.  It just has to go in the overhead storage bin, and your bag should be OK.

On those occasions when the aircraft was small and the standard size carry on would not fit in the overhead bin the airline let me "gate check" it. 

• MS

My bag is measured regularly.  It certainly depends on the airports you use and the workers you encounter.

• hihi!

It's up to the airline. I've seen HUGE carryons that makes yours look like a lunch kit. 31 pounds in a carryon may be a bit much in the airline imposes weight limits.