Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can they fire me?

No, they haven't said that I was fired...'yet'. This is the problem, I'm a student and i'm 16 and I work part-time. I didn't come in as scheduled yesterday because I was ill and I called them to tell them that I wouldn't be able to make it because I'm ill but they didn't pick up. So after an hour they called me and told me that I have to call regardless if they didn't pick up and tell them that I won't make it. Now they want me to go to the Doctor and get an excuse otherwise I can't work but they have to acknowledge that parents have jobs too they can't just turn from their work and run and get things and besides I've been to the hospital before that during a car accident and now I have to go back but the Doctor's around here aren't available until Monday. What if the excuse isn't for yesterday and is made on Saturday instead? Would they accept it still? I just didn't want to get anyone sick with this Flu that's running around. Also I won't be able to make it in the morning either because my mother has to work and I have no other transportation to get me there. Should I call in and tell them that I have no transportation and that they shouldn't put my schedule's in the AM? Thank you. xx

Yes, this is my first job. The reason I missed exactly is because my eyes were nonstop running, my nose was clogged, my sneezing was endless, I had to breathe through my mouth, I felt tired, my nose was running, my eyes were red from the tears that wouldn't stop running, the sniffing was horrific. It's still happening today but I feel better than yesterday, I'm not so fuzzy headed and tired. How is this fixable?

First things first:  whenever you call to notify an employer that you aren't coming in, for whatever reason (sick, family emergency, whatever), you are obligated to continue your efforts until you reach SOMEBODY in your chain of authority (either your immediate supervisor or someone higher). 

If you have been sick for several days, your doctor should be able to give you an excuse covering the dates that you were sick once you do go see him (e.g., if I got sick on Monday, but went to the doctor on Tuesday, generally, the excuse will cover the period of my illness, which would include Monday).  Be sure to note your workplace's absence/illness policy:  some workplaces require a doctor's note anytime you're out for illness, which means you need to go ahead and see a doctor each time you get sick...be sure to let your doctor know that you need an excuse for work.

If you're having transportation issues, that is always considered the worker's issue, not the employer.  I'd do my best to arrange some sort of transportation (taxi, Uber, etc.) to get there, particularly since you are already having problems with them regarding your absence.  Repeated issues like this one can lead to you being dismissed, since in the eyes of your employer, you can no longer be relied upon.

Good luck!

If you are working in a "right to work" state then they can fire you if they don't like the way you part your hair.   It would only be fixable if your employers have any compassion.

You are 16...WHO THE F#CK CARES?! It isn't a "real" job.

They don't have to acknowledge that parents have jobs too. They don't have to acknowledge anything. They can fire you just for saying that they have to acknowledge something.

They can let you go just if they feel like it.

Source(s): They can insist you don't go for job interviews for permanent roles but can get rid of you at any time. It's not fair

You can be fired for anything.

Can they fire me?

YES. OK, now I will read your story, but the answer won't change.

Your doctor's note isn't worth the paper this answer isn't printed on. Even if it mattered to verifying you were ill, it has NOTHING to do with informing your employer you won't be in.

If you say you can't work when they schedule you because you don't have reliable transportation, they will accept your resignation.

Your update has NOTHING to do with the reason you may be in trouble with the boss.

Doctors won't backdate notes, it'll be dated the day they examine you.

They can and they should.  You made just one feeble effort to call and let them know and you didn't ring it long enough for them to answer, or it kept ringing and you didn't bother trying again in 5 minutes or even texting, or emailing.  Nothing.  So you did not inform them that you were not coming in.  Unless you have a doctor's note written and dated on the day you were absent, and you saw the doctor on the day you were absent, then forget it.  Any other note would be irrelevant and not accepted.  That's how it works.  If you cannot produce the "required" note, then you were absent without any legitimate reason.  That's what they will figure.  Since you are 16, first job, unaware of how things work, they might let it go this time.  Next time, if you are too sick to be at work, you are expected to have visited a doctor, and produced a note given that day.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • STEVEN F

You STUMBLED on a fairly accurate  If you have 25 DAYS experience in everything yo claim, you would be over 100 years old.

• Kyle

technically, yes.  many people work as an at will employee when you apply.  where a company can let an employee go for any reason.  with little to no warning.  for no reason needed to be given.  but in turn, employees can also leave employers also at any time.  it's just common practice to give two weeks notice, and employers a termination date, maybe severance for time worked, etc.

with that said, do what you can.  it happens.  you're still young, so i wouldn't think it would affect your job hunting in the future.  you should call to let them know you can't make it tomorrow morning.  you did the right thing to stay home and not spread the flu or cold.  many companies advocate that.  and if they do fire you, then so be it.  that's their loss.  get better, and apply somewhere else.

get reference letters from teachers, counselors, coaches or other adult leaders in your neighborhood that know your character and ethic.  that will help get jobs in the future.  

good luck.