promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the backstory/lore of The Golden Girls?

How did all of these women end up together in an apartment in Miami or wherever? I bet they explain this in the first episode, but I guess I missed that one, ha ha.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Blanche owned the house and had put out an ad for roommates.  Dorothy and Rose responded.  In the pilot episode they bring Dorothy's mom to live with them.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Here's how it happened-

Blanche owned the home, and her husband George had a heart attack resulting in his death in the early 1980's! Blanche needing the money to help keep her home afloat, posted an ad for a room-mate, if I remember correctly, it was posted at their local grocery store on the show. 

Rose who had been living in St Olaf , relocated to Miami after her husbands death, she needed a place to stay so she applied for the ad that Blanche had posted. Dorothy had recently divorced Stan, and she too needed a place to stay, and because her mother had decided to move out of Shady Pines also tagged along with Dorothy.

All 3 women had applied for the vacancy, and Blanche couldn't decide between the 3 of them, so she allowed them all to move into her home! They weren't close at first, but over time they all became friends on the show.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"The show had an ensemble cast and the plot revolves around four older single women (three widows and one divorcée) sharing a house in Miami. The owner of the house is a widow named Blanche Devereaux (McClanahan), who was joined by fellow widow Rose Nylund (White) and divorcée Dorothy Zbornak (Arthur), after they both responded to an ad on the bulletin board of a local grocery store a year before the start of the series. In the pilot episode, the three were joined by Dorothy's 80-year-old mother, Sophia Petrillo (Getty), after the retirement home where she had been living burned down."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.