What to see in Malta and how? Best place to stay?

My partner and I are thinking of visiting Malta this summer and I have just begun doing some research on it (my god it looks beautiful!!!) I just need some help with what to see and how to get from place to place, and more importantly, the best place to be based. I've read a few different articles but they can be quite conflicting. We are interested in saying a bit of everything, we love art, history, historical sites, cathedrals, beaches and bars! I've heard about St Johns Cathedral and about day trips to the islands Gozo and Comino, but where would be the best place to stay to be able to do and visit all these things? How would we get to the islands? Just hoping for a little advice! Perhaps from people who have been themselves and have first hand experience. Many thanks!

• Orla C

Invest in a good travel guide book for Malta, there are many out there. I like the the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide series myself, but go to a bookshop and have a good browse. There should be a section on how to get around, what's available in different places, day trips, etc.

I went a few years ago and loved it.  I stayed in the St Paul's bay area and  outside the accommodation was a bus stop which took us to almost anywhere and if not, to Valetta where the main station was.  By bus is the easiest method of transport.

Buggiba was a short walk around the coast road to the nightlife.  What to see depends on what you are interested in.  The catacombs are interesting.  Mdina (the silent City) is worth a visit.  Valetta has various museums, shops and restaurants.  We took a day trip across to Gozo, but were out of season, so spent the day in Victoria pottering around the small museums.  To get there, there is a regular boat service.  There are also boat day trips.  Check out the information on Trip advisor.