If somone was kept in an 'induced coma', does that mean it was deliberately kept in that state?

And why are some patients kept in that state?

• Lv 6

Medically induced comas are common when the patients consciousness can produce medical complications. Severe injuries or burns may require a chemically induced coma, because morphine may not be sufficient at therapeutic doses. 

If you undergo a complicated surgery if you have a bad illness if you have physical trauma they may put you in a drug-induced coma to allow your body to sleep and to heal as much as possible before they awaken you. And an induced coma means that they're purposely being kept in a coma. Here is a example of why a person might be kept in a coma you have been bitten by a rabid dog and now you are displaying signs of rabies. Rather than let you suffer for 4 to 5 days on your way to a sure and certain death they might just give you a drug to knock you out and let you die in your sleep. Well they try experimental drugs on you to try to stop the infection. Two people have lived through the disease by putting them in an induced coma and treating them with experimental medication.

It's done to preserve your organs so they could harvest them.  Once they harvest all your organs they could care less about your decomposing body.

• Jim

Induced comas are done for a variety of reasons.

I was put in one due to pain after 3 consecutive surgeries, it gave me time without pain, let them monitor me, and let me have time to heal up.

I've heard they also do that to reduce brain swelling too

i think so, they might do it so theyre not in a lot of pain that way

Not necessarily. I was put into an induced coma that lasted 6 weeks 10 years ago. That induced coma saved my life. I had viral pneumonia and my body was going through oxygen deprivation to the brain and body. The induced coma gave my body and nervous system time to start to heal and recover. Obviously I was not kept in that state. My best friend in college became a neurologist and brain surgeon, a good one.

Yes, sometimes people ARE deliberately kept in that state.

I did not have brain swelling. Yes, K did dream. I went out if body at least twice, but one of them was pretty fuzzy and , I could hear. The other out of body episode was like my conscious ness was gloating a foot above my body and I could see and hear, but I wasn't focusing, like I didn't have my glasses on, which I didn't. 

• Mercy
  • Susie

Yes deliberately, to give their brain time to stabilize, the swelling to go down, and to start healing. 

The specific term is "medically induced coma" and yes, that means it has been done on purpose.

They are achieved with drugs that not only cause a person to "sleep" but also virtually shuts down feelings and the senses.  The reason for this is to reduce brain activity and prevent swelling that can result in additional damage after brain surgery, injury or an episode like a stroke.

I was, some years ago to keep me from moving after six hours of head surgery. There was nothing, no dreams. I felt that I had lost the 24 hours that I was out.