promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is D.W. from "Arthur" actually intended to be hated to the degree that she is?

I'm not completely sure to what degree the hatred she receives from fans of the show was actually intended by the creators. On one hand, the way she treats Arthur would seem to make her a pretty objectively despicable character considering that Arthur is basically the typical eight-year old whom the viewers are meant to identity with, but then there's the episodes where D.W. IS the main character and the viewers are clearly meant to sympathize with her. And that's not even getting into the infamous episodes "D.W.'s Very Bad Mood" and "Arthur's Big Hit" where the audience is expected to sympathize with her for the sake of the moral despite her quite UNsympathetic behavior in those episodes. However, Marc Brown (the creator of the "Arthur" books and one of the producers of the show) has also said that she was based on his own little sister and that she was deliberately made to match the typical annoying little sister who always ruins everything for their older sibling. So all this leaves me conflicted about whether D.W. is actually SUPPOSED to be hated as much as she is or not.

Update:

Edit: Well, of course Ramona wouldn't be hated as much as her, since D.W. is pretty unique among "annoying little sibling" characters in that she's a downright cruel and callous person rather than just annoying.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

i would hope not

• NoName2 months agoReport

Why do you hope she wasn't meant to be hated that much?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't think she's hated at all, any more than "Ramona the pest" is.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.