promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

i dont get the advice, "stop caring what people think"?

if you dont care then if someone insults you, you dont care? if you dont care then why do you brush your teeth, shower and dress nice for others? i dont understand.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You overthought the question.  You should care about your appearance because it will affect your ability to find a good job and meet good people  What you don't want to do is obsess over what others think.  That leads to narcissism and other personality disorders.  There will probably only be a few people in your life for whom you should care what they think.  Like a significant other, a boss, or a judge.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Carmen
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Basically I don't care has a broad range of meanings depending on how and when it's used it could mean a person doesn't care what others think on what you wear or how you live or why you do certain things because they are not in your shoes or position and not doing anything to help you or whatever it's up to each Individual to determine what I don't care means to each its own.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I am with you as it would mean being arrogant. Obviously one can care too much, but we are supposed to care to a certain degree. 

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I shower, brush my teeth and dress nicely for ME! Not for others

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Ok then please ignore all I say

It’s been nice to greet you. any non constructive 

Criticism you receive ok?

And think back to your last or best compliment 

And relive it.

thanks 

Very best wishes 

Mars 

Source:) God alone knows.

• 1 month ago

Good. It means you are thinking logically. We are literally biologically and cognitively dependent on each other, and it is absolutely impossible not to care what other people think. It's possible not to care for some people, but not all people in general. Even when we are alone, we still reinforce ourselves by thinking how others would react to what we do. I would advice you to not seek validation from others, but even that is not possible. Instead i would advice you to be very careful who you seek validation from. Who you seek validation from is who you will become.

• 1 month ago

It's not so much that you don't care about what people think, it's that you don't make your well-being dependent on what they think.

• 1 month ago

thats so others dont drive you nuts

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The difference is that we brush our teeth, then get on with our day. We don't brush our teeth for hours and think about it constantly.

It's fine to care, just don't care too much ...to the point where you never get on with your day.

• 1 month ago

LOL!  We do care about what people think.  Until we don't.  We do what we can for people, but if they're still not happy then we don't care.  We learn to use our own judgement.  That doesn't mean we don't care at all, it means that we are the judge, not them.

Young people, teenagers, are too susceptible to 'peer pressure' because they don't have a sense of themselves, a confidence in their own judgement.  This is something you eventually grow out of.  So they chase fashion trends, they do dumb things just because the other kids are doing them.  They care too much what others think.  But yes, it's also possible not to care enough.

If you like someone, you do what you can to help them like you and approve of you.  If they still don't, it's not YOUR fault.  There are people who do just as they please, and who DARE others to like them!  You don't want to be one of those either.

• Mars Mission
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Very good Mr Smartypants!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.