Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Why do people go to University if you can earn the same amount of money without going? ?

I was able to get a job with a 20k starting salary with just my GCSE's and A levels.

Why is there a belief that you can't achieve a middle class lifestyle without going to university 

Why do people spend thousands of pounds and get into debt to go to University? 

They go to university because they want a career that requires a college degree, not just a job. Or they want to earn more money over a lifetime. Or they want to make the connections that will enhance their career in future years. But a university education isn't for everyone. If it's not for you, then you can start earning now. If you're really smart, you'll start saving and investing now instead of frittering away all your spare cash drinking with your mates.

• edward

Because 20k a year is pitiful.  My friend...you’re not even making minimum wage where i live.

• John

Your basic premise is false. Even if one looks at higher education simply as a vocational school, college graduates on average make far more over the course of their working years than do non-graduates.  Additionally, many occupations have limited career paths or are closed completely to non-graduates.  Those occupations tend to be among the highest paying.

• Expat

Good for you! Now how high can your salary go and what other employment options do you have? There’s no rule saying only uni grads can make middle class wages. None at all! Why do people do it? Well, there are MANY careers that require degrees, so if it’s your goal or dream to be a lawyer or a pharmacist, you have no other option if you hope to ever have that career. That’s why.

Where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), 20k per year wouldn't buy you a shed with an outhouse.  But, on the other hand, it would buy you a nice, middle-class lifestyle in Lajitas, Texas.

I think people are brainwashed to believe they are nothing without a college degree, in reality it’s just a piece of paper 

I think you got it all wrong. People don't have to go to university, or college. Getting a higher education helps people to start to go in the direction that he, or she wants to go if that makes any sense to you.

I will try to explain what I said in a different way. There are people who want to start doing something near the middle, or start something that's near the end, or at the very end without even starting to learn about something.

Going to college, or university just puts people on a path to learn about something instead of guessing where someone should start to learn about something. Does that make sense?

I heard people say to me your education is outdated, but I never stopped learning after I graduated from college. I kept on learning on my own, and I learned a lot more on my own. Currently I am working on some projects, and I am using a lot of what I learned from college, and on my own, so my education isn't outdated.

I read about people saying I know this, and I know that bla bla bla, but I don't see anything. I am producing something with what I learned!!!

In my opinion I think people who have something against learning won't be achieving a rich, or even a middle class lifestyle.

Lastly I heard of companies making bad decisions regarding hiring people. Live, and learn!

It's not a matter of money for most people. It's a matter of what you want to do with your life. Some careers require education beyond high school graduation/A-levels. Some require education beyond a bachelor's degree. If you aim for something else, if that's where your talents, interests, abilities, etc, lie, then settle for that.

• Tavy

So,in ten years time how much will you be earning? 

My Grandson wants to be an investment banker, he can't do that without a degree.

His father did a PhD and earns a huge amount of money.

There are limits what you can do without some degrees.

UK

cause they enjoy going there