promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why do people go to University if you can earn the same amount of money without going? ?

I was able to get a job with a 20k starting salary with just my GCSE's and A levels.

Why is there a belief that you can't achieve a middle class lifestyle without going to university 

Why do people spend thousands of pounds and get into debt to go to University? 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

They go to university because they want a career that requires a college degree, not just a job. Or they want to earn more money over a lifetime. Or they want to make the connections that will enhance their career in future years. But a university education isn't for everyone. If it's not for you, then you can start earning now. If you're really smart, you'll start saving and investing now instead of frittering away all your spare cash drinking with your mates.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

On that salary, he's going to have a lot of difficulty saving anything.  20,000 pounds isn't a lot in the UK.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because 20k a year is pitiful.  My friend...you’re not even making minimum wage where i live.

• John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Your basic premise is false. Even if one looks at higher education simply as a vocational school, college graduates on average make far more over the course of their working years than do non-graduates.  Additionally, many occupations have limited career paths or are closed completely to non-graduates.  Those occupations tend to be among the highest paying.

• Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Good for you! Now how high can your salary go and what other employment options do you have? There’s no rule saying only uni grads can make middle class wages. None at all! Why do people do it? Well, there are MANY careers that require degrees, so if it’s your goal or dream to be a lawyer or a pharmacist, you have no other option if you hope to ever have that career. That’s why.

• ...Show all comments
    • Dovregubben
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

That is not minimum wage in some US states. And these low paying jobs don;t have benefits, like medical, dental, 401K, etc

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), 20k per year wouldn't buy you a shed with an outhouse.  But, on the other hand, it would buy you a nice, middle-class lifestyle in Lajitas, Texas.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I'm sure it is, but it's still not a very good salary.  You couldn't live on it in most UK cities.

• 2 months ago

I think people are brainwashed to believe they are nothing without a college degree, in reality it’s just a piece of paper 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I think you got it all wrong. People don't have to go to university, or college. Getting a higher education helps people to start to go in the direction that he, or she wants to go if that makes any sense to you.

I will try to explain what I said in a different way. There are people who want to start doing something near the middle, or start something that's near the end, or at the very end without even starting to learn about something.

Going to college, or university just puts people on a path to learn about something instead of guessing where someone should start to learn about something. Does that make sense?

I heard people say to me your education is outdated, but I never stopped learning after I graduated from college. I kept on learning on my own, and I learned a lot more on my own. Currently I am working on some projects, and I am using a lot of what I learned from college, and on my own, so my education isn't outdated.

I read about people saying I know this, and I know that bla bla bla, but I don't see anything. I am producing something with what I learned!!!

In my opinion I think people who have something against learning won't be achieving a rich, or even a middle class lifestyle.

Lastly I heard of companies making bad decisions regarding hiring people. Live, and learn!

• 2 months ago

It's not a matter of money for most people. It's a matter of what you want to do with your life. Some careers require education beyond high school graduation/A-levels. Some require education beyond a bachelor's degree. If you aim for something else, if that's where your talents, interests, abilities, etc, lie, then settle for that.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So,in ten years time how much will you be earning? 

My Grandson wants to be an investment banker, he can't do that without a degree.

His father did a PhD and earns a huge amount of money.

There are limits what you can do without some degrees.

UK

• 2 months ago

cause they enjoy going there

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.