Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 2 months ago

Why is the dissolution date of  my local video rental store listed as “09/06/90” when I rented a movie that came out in theaters in 1991?

Feeling nostalgic, I googled a video rental store in my mom’s neighborhood that eventually went out of business.  It says:

Filing Status: Inactive - Dissolution (Sept. 6, 1990).

However, I clearly remember renting “Problem Child 2” from that rental store.  But that movie was released in theaters in 1991.

It sounds like you're looking at the Secretary of State website information that shows when business entities such as corporations or LLCs are created and dissolved. Just because the store might have been in business doesn't mean the ownership structure didn't change.

What website is giving that date? Where do they get their data? Filing of what? Maybe they filed for [whatever] on that date but it was not granted for months or years.