Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 month ago

Gemology question? What is copal?

I was wondering what copal of adeleian gum might be, I found a recipe for a potion on the deep web that called for a finely ground powder of copal of adeleian gum?

My reading about copal is it’s a amber precursor made by heating and pressure cooking a resin.

What exactly is adeleian gum? I have heard of chewing gum and xanthan gum but never adeleian gum?

Can you explain what copal

• Gabe

Copal is a gem-to-be, Amber specifically

I'd swear I've answered this before. It's easy to look up and I'm disappointed people capable of finding the dark web can't find freakin' Google.

Copal is a resin from the tree Daniellia, which has many varieties. It can be similar in appearance to amber but has not fossilized. Color ranges from white to yellow to black. It's been used like incense for thousands of years and now has industrial uses as well, especially in making varish.

Protium copal (Burseraceae) was used in pre-Columian Mesoamerica and is still used ceremonially by indiginous people there.  Hymenaea verrucosa (Fabaceae) is found in East Africa. Other types are found in New Zealand, Columbia, Madagascar, and the Dominican Republic.

My best guess is that "adeleian" is someone's attempt to turn Adelaide, Australia, into an adjective, and it's copal from that area.