Ben asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

How can veganism be a healthy diet, if you have to take supplements for it?

Taking supplements does not equal unhealthy. It simply means that there are some nutrients they are not consuming in large enough quantities; likely because these nutrients are found in animal products. 

• patty

if it can't be done with food then take a supplement

The fact that it requires a b12 supplement shows its not a diet people are meant to eat but that doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy. People are adaptable. If the diet is balanced and consists of whole foods and a b12 supplement is taken its a decent diet for people. Not ideal but not bad either. 

I don't think it is healthy. The natural human diet is all about meat and plant based foods, but the meat provides essential nutrients.

I'm not stupid enough to go vegan or vegetarian. I avoid processed foods, so my shopping is done mainly in the meat and produce departments. I will buy dill pickles, and other fermented foods. Plus olives and the occasional box of tomatoes, and i buy hard cheeses sometimes as well. Eggs, too. Egg yolk is the perfect food.

I don't know im not vegan but i know very few people that it works for. So it's definitely not for everyone.

The strict vegetarian diet as followed by vegans CAN be  healthy IF properly planned. As far as the supplements goes, the ONLY essential micronutrient that needs supplemented or has been added as a fortification is vitamin B12. Of course there are the I know it all types, who will state emphatically and as though it's been empirically proven that a strict vegetarian diet is missing multiple nutrients, and requires supplementation to be healthy, when in fact as I stated before the only nutrient that can not be found in plant based foods is vitamin B12. Any vegetarian or vegan who needs to supplement beyond vitamin B12, then needs to sit down and learn more about nutrition, or has other underlying health issues, that even by re-adding meat and other animal based foods

, aren't going to otherwise resolve. In fact a well planned all  plant based has been shown to be healthy for many people. However contrary to what SOME vegetarians and many vegans loves to claim, such a diet is NOT suitable for everyone. This was something I learned many years ago,  from a vegan dietitian.That vegan dietitian made it also clear to me, that as such, a strict vegetarian diet was NOT suitable for me, just as it wasn't for her husband. However with that in mind, there are all to many, of us who THINKS that we're eating a well balanced diet that includes meat, that aren't as well balanced as thought. In  the end I've realized that there is no such thing, and for a variety of reasons, there is no such thing as a one diet works for all. For some a well planned strict vegetarian diet can be the healthiest with the only supplement needed being vitamin B12.

It's not.  You lack vital nutrients.

• Wendigo

It ONLY lacks in vitamin B12 nothing else. I don't know where you get your information from, but I get mine from nutritional research facilities, such as the Linus Pauling Institute of Oregon State, the Mayo Clinic, or the National Institute of Health. I'm neither a vegan or a vegetarian by the way.

• .

Most people don't vegan, vegetarian, and omnivore don't eat a completely balanced diet or get all the nutrition their body needs daily, from the foods they eat. Vegans do not "have" to take supplements (they can get the nutrition they need from a vegan diet) but like many other people they may choose to include supplements because they find that easier than trying to get in all their nutrition through their diet. There's a reason the vitamin and supplement industry is thriving, and it's not just due to vegans.

• brother_in_magic

If you don't get B12 very nasty things happen to you...

• Mark

It's really not, though I guarantee you, most of the food you eat is, by definition, vegan.  You know, like fruit, SUGAR, vegetables , etc.  (It seems that most people - vegans included - think something has to taste REALLY bad to be "vegan".  It really doesn't.)

• Fuhr

You don't.  That myth is old and tired.

• Wendigo

In general with so many fortified foods that's very true about it being and old and tired myth. I agree, and meat is a part of my diet.