Can anyone help me strangle my word processor?

I've been editing and shaping my 300 page novel for years. Publishers are picky, and I need to eliminate paragraph spacing between paragraphs. I can't do it in any version of Word, WPS, Libre Office, Open Office, or any other processor. What's worse, the damn tab moves on its own. I've cleared al formatting to start over, and it does the same thing. I've looked at tutorials. Help!

• Who

1) use "styles" in open office

you can set the pre and post paragraph gaps

2) if you mean by "shaping" setting paragraphs and text fonts - dont bother

a publisher will do all that . You would be better just using wordpad 

But DO make a master copy before you do anything

• Vaman

I suggest that you use latex. It is easy to install latex. Then install a latex editor. All are free. Now open the your novel in word. Save it as a text file i.e say novel.tex. Now open the latex editor and open the file called novel.tex. At the beginning enter \documentstyle{article}

\begin{document}

in the end add \end {document}. Compile and see how it looks.

For headings write

\section{ Name of the heading}

To end the para put \\ at the end and see the out put. Command will be latex and view or see in the editor. If you need an example then send me a paragraph and I will send you both tex and processed tex.

• Fred

It really depends on how you did the spacing and what word processor and version you used.

If you used Word 2007 or newer and used 2 paragraph symbols (pilcrows) after each paragraph, do a Find and Replace (Ctrl-H).

Search for 2 pilcrows in a row (^p^p) and replace with one pilcrow (^p). That will fix everything. With these versions you do not need the extra paragraph spacing that you just removed.

Find and Replace will work with almost every word processor although you might have to do things slightly differently.

Open Word

Click the Home tab

In paragraphs, click the small arrow at the bottom right side

Spacing Section- Change to 0 in the after box

Inline spacing-Change to Single

Remove the check from-

"Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style"

Now set as Default

• A.J.

300 pages of space delete between paragraphs is a small job.

If 5 per page as high estimate, and 6 per minute to find and execute, 1500/6 = 250 and at 60 minutes per hour is about a  4 hour job in a multi-year project.

Not sure about tab moving, but should be an option.

I use Word 2016 when I'm forced to, Libre Office and Open Office voluntarily, and I can eliminate the blank line between paragraphs using any of them.

Let's fix this in two steps. Using Word, do a find-and-replace for formatting. Seek ^p^p (that's two Enters/returns) and replace it with ^p, a single return. Do it once to make sure it works, then do it again on all.

You shouldn't be using tabs at all. Publishers want to see an automatic indent, not tabs, not spaces.Now to indent the first line of each paragraph. Use Ctrl-A to select all. This will highlight the entire novel. Move the upper slide on the layout ruler--the one that points down--to 0.5". Depending on which version of Word you have, you may have to move both, then move the lower one back where it was.