Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 11 months ago

Do atheists celebrate Saint Valentine’s Day ?

• D1218

Well, I do. I got a big box of chocolates today. Nothing wrong with it.

• Sky

Those in romantic relationships do, because the day has absolutely nothing to do any more with religion or the matter that Valentine was canonized as a saint.

Yes we do!......

• It should make no difference.  We, as individuals first, have the capacity and moral character to believe and celebrate as we choose.  Just because there are religious sects who choose to live collectively in much the same way, doesn't mean the rest of us should be banned from acquiring certain characteristics from them.

I am a spiritual individual.  I choose to believe, celebrate and live,  according to that which I receive as Good.  :D

• Otto

Some atheists and members of false religions celebrate it.

The World Book Encyclopedia  informs us: "Yalentine's Day comes on the feast day of two different Christian martyrs named Valentine. But the customs connected with the day . . . probably cone from an ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia which took place every February 15. The festival honored Juno, the Roman goddes of women and marriage, and Pan, the god of nature." - Vol. 20, p. 204.

Not exactly...  We don't believe in Medieval Catholic Saints, but we do celebrate Valentine's Day to remind us of our reciprocal love for our spouses.

Of course. And, BTW, the "saint" was removed from the designation a long time ago.

Вы действительно такой большой пиздец?

Yeah, but it's not as fun as celebrating Steak & BJ Day on the 13th.

• ?

It is a made up holiday, that no one should pay attention to. It is just a scam to sell stuff.

• Den B7

Yes, but not in the same way that it's observed as a high holy day in most Christian religions. It's right up there with Christmas and Easter.