Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

How long until nicotine urges go away?

I've quit vaping for 6 days now...

72 hours psychical your good the rest is all in your head and the dopamine is trying to re balance itself. Just drink some coffee and never go back

• Edna

If you're addicted to nicotine, 6 days won't do it.  You still have a LONG way to go. Many cigarette smokers NEVER lose the urge for nicotine, not even after they've  given up smoking cigarettes for years. Nicotine is VERY addictive - physically and psychologically.   

Several months. Get used to it.

• Etta

I don't know as I still vape but if you have managed for 6 days without the vape you can manage more days so don't give in.

Depends really. People I know who quit smoking 'cold turkey' have told me 2 weeks. When I stopped it was the habit of smoking, especially at certain times, as opposed to the nicotine addiction.

• Edna

Yes - the habit of smoking at certain times. Like when you're talking on the phone, or after you finish eating, or when you first wake up in the morning, or just THINKING about smoking.  It's not so much the nicotine - it's the psychological cravings that can do you in.  

• Kieth

It took me six months, by then I had realized that food tastes better, I felt better, I had an extra pile of cash in my account, and my favorite chair smelled like an old shoe that was used as an ashtray.

• k w

dunno....never vaped b4, but I did quit smoking, took 3 tries, and my last time, I just switched up the times I smoked, instead of at break time, I'd force myself to wait, same with after meals, I forced myself to wait 20 min, then on my last pack, I kept it fresh in a ziplock baggy, then I was down to one a day, just before sleeping.....then one day I was down to the last one......then never bought any more.....cold turkey is cruel to the body...for me, tapering off was best.....

• Edna

For some smokers, a doctor will actually recommend that they NOT try to quit smoking - especially not cold turkey. For those people, their system is so dependent upon cigarettes and nicotine that (hard as it is to believe) quitting would be such a shock to the body that it could easily  kill them.