Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Parents would you be okay with this?

I’m 20, almost 21. I have a job, I’m saving my money for a place but parents said it’s okay for me to stay with them. 

Women really like me and my job. At my age is it a big deal if I have women sleep over in my room

• Raja

What is your idea, to bring your gf who is going to be your future partner to sleep in your room  or bring women to enjoy sex in your room. If it is the first with the permission of parents it is perfectly ok. If it is the second women for sex move out of your place rent a room or a place and enjoy life. Bring women to your place for that purpose amounts to insulting your parents.They have not brought you up for that purpose.Respect them.

My grandma taught me from very young that if you're living with anyone you have to abide by their rules doesn't matter if you're 40 and they're 19. If you don't like it save up quicker and move out. Thats logical of your parents to me

It would be a big deal because you said women not a single one.  There would have been a possibility you are getting married...but no.  Those women could become stalkers at your parents home if things go wrong between you.

• Liz

No, I would not be ok with two unmarried people sleeping together in my home. I'm a Christian and I live by the Bible's standards on morality. The Bible refers to all sexual relations outside the marriage bond as “fornication” (including sodomy and homosexuality). The Scriptures command: “Flee from fornication,” for “no fornicator . . . has any inheritance in the kingdom of the Christ and of God.” (1 Cor. 6:18; Eph. 5:5)

Were I your parents my rule on this would be girlfriends = yes, random hookups = no. I'd be cool with someone you know and trust being in my home. Not so much for someone you just picked up at a bar or met that very night on Tinder. It's not at all about the sex... Just about the idea of a potentially thieving stranger wandering around taking things.

At your age, I don't think this is a big deal.  But it's also true that you're rapidly approaching the age where it WILL be a big deal.  For one thing, there are parents out there who don't want adult kids to leave home.  This is especially true for single kids or the youngest.  I don't know if that's the case here, but this has the potential to damage young adults.  It looks cool on the surface that they'd let you have women in your room overnight, but there's a lot more to being independent in your own place than the freedom to bang someone. 

Like I said, it's not that alarming yet because most 21 year olds are still dependent on parents in some way.  For example, all of us who went away to college depended on our parents until we were 22 and graduated.  But irl I've seen a couple situations where suddenly the person is 28 and actually a bit fearful of striking out on their own.  Either that, or they start feeling guilty they want to bail.  Don't let this happen to you.  Take advantage of it for a year or 2, but make sure it doesn't linger beyond that. 

not if your parents dont mind

Not a big deal but I wouldn't allow them to sleep in your room in my house for two reasons.  1.  Because as a parent I have used my own parents as the example to follow and they would never allow me to do so.  2. Because the restriction of not being allowed serves as strong motivation to work harder to leave the nest and become independent sooner than later.  

But how I feel about it is moot Each parent is free to choose their own rules in their own homes.  I wouldn't look down on a parent who does.  And that is ignoring whether the girl would even want to be in that situation. Most wouldn't.

• geezer

Don't ask us ... ask your parents.

I think your parents would be okay with that but how do you think if you tell a woman you live with your parents and they can sleep over? They'd have to meet your parents if they're there and I don't they want to meet them so soon.