Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Do family (siblings, a sister) have to see you when they visit your city? Is it rude for them not to even text & say they’re here?

She in your city with her 10yo son visiting her 19 yo son at college.

You see her “im in .... for the weekend” post on social media.

Or is it rude to assume that as her sister (who you rarely see) who lives in the city she’s visiting she’d want to see you too.

Agree Roddy.. she’s here for her son, but

A simple text would be good

• Lita

No one has to see you when they visit your city. It's rude to expect them to alert you to the fact that they are there.

• Lisa M

My sister actually moved to my city and for 4 years didn't contact me. lol. I have a cousin who does that constantly. One time we even showed up at the same function and she completely ignored me. But when I posted photos of me at the function she pulled a guilt trip and posted under my photo 'I was there as well'. I couldn't believe it. Somehow she made me out to look like the rude one. 

Do you want to see someone who obviously doesn’t want to see you? At least, not enough to make an effort. Maybe they have every minute planned. The most you can do is invite them over for lunch or something. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Kind of depends on the circumstances. I live in a geographically massive city where getting from one side to the other can be a three hour ordeal in traffic. I have a cousin who flies in from out of state frequently to see musical concerts. She doesn't always notify me because these trips are usually short and there's no practical way for us to meet up. So I don't begrudge her that.

i think thats rude too

• drip

I think it rude.  A simple communication would be nice.  Even if their itinerary  for the weekend is packed.

• Nuff Sed

How about "it's none of your business where I spend my weekends"?

If she posts it on social media for all to see, then she's likely expecting people to invite her, which you as a sibling could've done. 

Of course, it also depends on the type of  relationship which exists between the siblings and from your description, it appears you guys have a confusing & distant one. It also seems there's pride involved, on both sides,  or injured parties from previous offenses. So, all norms are off until you mend fences. 

No.  When you are in town for a specific purpose that doesn't concern your friend/family or leave enough time to visit, it would be rude (and plain old mean) to make contact stating that fact.  It is best to not make contact until time for the friend/family can be made a priority of the visit, and then to provide plenty of notice (you have a life too).

Ultimately, this comes down to the relationship/connection between family members. There is no obligation for family to spend time together, and while many people genuinely enjoy their family's company, equally as many not so much.

She does not want to see you.

• Nuff Sed

Who cares? Life your own life and don't worry so much about what others are doing with theirs.