Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 2 months ago

Not sure if I should find a new job?

I am a server at a restaurant. I have been having issues with a co-worker who is the hostess. She does not like me and therefore skips my sections when it's time for me to be sat- she will sometimes skip me 3-4 times in the rotation. It is blatantly obvious because the other two servers will have filled sections when I only have two tables. It is blatant favortism. I have talked to the front of house manager who literally told me that the hostess doesn't like me because I am blonde and young. But then he never disciplines her. I have talked to the kitchen manager about it which seemed to help for a few days but then she just went back to doing it. I have confronted her and she said to me "That is not my problem".

I am scheduled every. single. shift. with this hostess- she's an elderly woman who seems really bitter about life in general. I don't want to find a new job, but I am losing a lot of money by working with this old hag. They won't schedule me shifts when she is not working. UGH. 

A discussion with the manager is in order, that they need to do their job to stop favoritism. If they don't, you can say that you know that you have the option of filing a complaint with your state's board of workforce development over this. They can fine your restaurant for issues like this. Why did you let this go so long? To find your state's board, just google it.

• Mini

I didn’t know that was an option- thanks. 

If your "fact" that this is happening is "because the other two servers will have filled sections when I only have two tables." isn't very factual.

- the other servers might do a better job up-selling so their customers stay longer

- maybe they are just all around slower so customers stay longer

- maybe they make the customers feel more comfortable so stay longer.

If you have actual evidence that this is happening = then take to the management team then.  Don't use but the dining room looks empty on my side as your "proof".

• Mini

I actually do have proof because all of the other servers see it happening. F off. 

Have you talked to the co-worker and explained you can't help it that you're blonde and young. You might also explain that being jealous of your looks makes her seem very petty.

You will still be blonde and young anywhere else you work. The front of the house manager is supposed to solve these kind of issues. You can try seating your own customers. Maybe complain to the general manager.

• Mini

yeah but that is not my problem she is an old ugly shrew I deserve to have an equal amount of tables. 

Catch her it the parking lot and ' tune her up ' . Just make sure there are no camera's pointed your way .