Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 2 months ago

Best keyboard for beginners?

I played piano when I was a kid and would love to play again. I am looking for recommendations for good beginner keyboards that don’t break the bank. 

I don’t need all the bells and whistles but I would love to find one that is key sensitive and has a place for headphones. 

Additionally, why would I get a 61 key keyboard over a 88 key? What would you recommend to me as a beginner?

My husband and adult son both teach piano - and they are recommending Alessi keyboards. But please - get 88 notes. Even if the literature you are playing now does not require them, you want to be able to play scales in both hand parallel for 4 octaves, you want to get used to the visual layout, and not be distracted when facing a full 88 note piano. You will need a damper/sustain pedal, and if there are not onboard speakers LOUD enough for you - decent headphones. Or you might want to get an amp - if the neighbors and you your family are up for that.