Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 2 months ago

How would you deal with this situation?

If someone such as a family member that doesn't think highly of you and has low standards for you, would you be offended?

• Chanel

Not offended. I just would try my best to keep out of this person's way cos they will only be negative towards you and you need positive people.

Mix with other people who cheer you up. Do not let anybody rob you of your confidence cos we are all here for a reason.

If this person makes another remark, don't show him/her that you are hurt. I say this cos it could be the reaction they are after.

• Mr. L.

Every feeling you experience is YOUR CHOICE!  Make another choice.  If you need to write the person off, ghost them.

What someone else thinks about me is literally none of my business.

And if someone doesn't think highly of me, seems like it's their problem. I don't do anything to cause friction or put people down, etc. I treat people the way i want to be treated.

If someone doesn't like me, they don't have to. I don't care. I'm not here to win a popularity contest by any means.

• Bobo

You have the ability to create your own image.  There are typically two paths:  Good character (honesty, responsibility, integrity, self-control, etc.) or Poor character (dishonesty, irresponsibility, drug/alcohol abuse, sloth, etc.).  Once you have established the fact that you can maintain a good character--it will not matter what expectations others have of you, because you know that you have the moral high ground.  Don't waste time worrying about the opinion of others--do make the effort to create a good opinion about yourself.

• audrey

Nope. I'd just ignore/avoid them.

• LP7

Possibly.Even though it's family you are still an individual and need to stand up for your own beliefs and ideas.

Circumstantial.

Did I do something(s) bad for no good reason, remorselessly, and willfully?

My parents might be always willing to support and help me grow, but it's understandable at the same time that they currently have low expectations of me given my behavior. 

Am I giving poor results but the problem is unknown to my family? (E.g. low grades but I'm very emotionally depressed/suicidal - which was my case). I was upset that my dad had low standards for me, and I tried to explain it to him (why). After that, I felt offended that he continued to, while simultaneously ignoring the points that I brought up that I felt contributed to my poor results.

Many other circumstances/factors than just the two above. Essentially, have you done stuff to warrant a low expectation? I don't know the context. You have to do some self reflection and be unbiased as you can about it.