At what age does it become hard to find a decent paying job?

I'm almost 40 and the job I have now is decent paying however does not do cost of living increases or raises. The adjust the pay based on the market and what other companies pay their employees for identical positions. I am looking to work at a company who gives raises or cost of living increases

If you're worried about the age, than definitely consider finding a good place in a corporate world... 

Corporations are more interested in "raising" their employees by providing long-term benefits, unlike many small businesses. 

The benefits alone can cover many of your expenses once you reach management!

• Marvin

I do not know that there is an age where that happens. I am 54, and I just started a new job being paid the highest base salary I ever made in the USA. I work with several other men who are over 60.

I personally made better in the past due to bonuses, or working overseas, but I also was being paid extra benefits due to the situation at the time.

define decent pay??

yes, over 40 unless you have specialized skills it gets harder.

I find it interesting that 3 weeks ago you were 27.

• A.J.

I can only describe the USA situation. Cost of living increases are related to unions and government jobs, usually with contracts. Annual raises have pretty much disappeared. The general pay in increased based on performance in a job and asking for a raise, and also based on competitive pay for that performance employee.

A company or business pays a person to retain them.

An employee can leave at any time, and if he/she can earn more at another company, the employer either gives them a raise or they leave.

Some companies have profit sharing still.

The company you work for is doing things as a standard, but individuals should also have promotions and raises to keep them from quitting and getting a higher paying job.

That's why executive pay has skyrocketed and worker pay is low. The system has been rigged towards owners and executives.

It's harder after 50 but not impossible. Get the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?" to help you get a better job.

• DEBS

If you really want decent increases, then you need to get promoted at the same company and also be willing to go to another company (or at least seriously threaten your current employer you are doing it by putting in notice.) If you stay at about the same level, there is no reason for your employer to increase your pay much if at all.