Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 2 months ago

Ladies: Do you prefer engagement rings with one larger diamonds or a ring filled with clustered diamonds?

Let's say that both rings are one carat for the single diamond and one carat total weight for the clustered one.

I ask this because I have asked my girlfriend which ring she prefers but she simply doesn't care about the look, carat range or price. She usually does not buy herself jewelry to wear but whenever I give her something she wears it daily. She has never told me which styles she does not like so this is a little harder for me.

We have been discussing marriage for months now and there are two distinct style rings I have in mind. I am just going to tear off the bandaid and buy it tomorrow so it stops driving me insane, and then I will give it to her over dinner. I was going to buy it during lunch break.

I have also talked to some of her friends and they said she would most likely be happy with either or, so I guess in this case there isn't much of a right or wrong answer, and I like to hear other people's opinions as always.

• drip

Sounds like she truly doesn’t have a style in mind. So go look and get the one YOU like.

My husband’s mother asked me and knew I really wanted an emerald cut diamond engagement ring.  He didn’t it. He got a brilliant cut diamond.  He loved it and thought a diamond should sparkle.  He was so excited about the style he got, I loved it too.

I am a practical person who likes classic styles as they always stand the test of time.

A ring with a bunch of small diamonds may have dozens of prongs in the setting. To me, that is dozens of reasons not to get a diamond cluster engagement ring that will be worn daily. Simply due to the maintenance, that style of ring requires over the course of time, I would avoid it. Yes, as a cocktail ring worn on occasion, but not for a ring worn every day.

I prefer an old-fashioned ring with almost anything but a diamond.

Personally I prefer just one chunk of bling

• n2mama

Single stone. Cluster stones may sparkle more, but they are more likely to have a stone come loose or fall out. If cost is a factor, the cluster will be cheaper.

• Kelly

I'm always honest that I wanted an engagement ring but really I was indifferent on the style for the most part, I had styles I liked more than others but overall I would have been happy with whatever he chose.

I don't wear much jewelry so when my husband was ready to shop he had no clue really what I even liked so..  he asked me directly.  He told me his budget and then asked me to send him a few examples of rings I liked and he took over after that.

You're over complicating this.

I like the bigger diamonds.

You're making this way too hard on yourself.  You and she need to go looking for rings together.  Give her a budget limit and just do it.  Asking her friends, or asking what we like here, is pointless, because it doesn't matter what *I* like if she hates that.  Also, this doesn't take the romance out of it, because you still get to plan your proposal and surprise her with that.  It's just common sense.  You can also take her shopping AFTER the proposal. 

I would go with the one larger diamond because a cluster snags and is hard to clean.

You could ask her to marry you without a ring, then take her ring shopping so she can pick one.