promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it worth buying an SSD HDD just to put Windows 10 on?

$35

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

If you like faster boot times. There is even a speed boost on older motherboards that can't take full advantage of the ssd speed due to not having the lastest, faster sata ports. If you have any applications that are slow to open, an ssd can speed that up as well.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yes it would specially if you have amd 3000 series cpu. It supports 4.0 pcie. Idd get a m.2 ssd if it supports it. 

• 2 months ago

if it is large enough, Win 10 will run very fast indeed

• 2 months ago

That depends on whether it is worth it to YOU. It'll boot much faster if you have the operating system on an ssd, whether that matters to you is your decision. If you're going to do it make sure you get a reputable make, and one of decent size.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes, but don't buy a tiny $35 one. Buy at least a 1 TB unit. I did. I don't regret it.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes. Every new PC of any decent performance should have an SSD for faster read-write. Even if a smaller one primarily for Windows, you get a faster boot time and faster cache running. Adding internet browser cache it the SSD of just a few gigabytes use will speed up the internet with most browsers.

SSDs starting now at about $0.10 per gigabyte, an bulk storage under $0.03

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-dr...

if you provide the details of specifications of the system and how it is used, the most efficient use of money can be offered in a new pc.

$35 can get a cheap 240gb drive. Is this an addition to a purchased pc, or a new custom being built.

Windows and registry and system drivers need less than 40gb.

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First things first. 

A SSD is a Solid State Drive. 

A HDD is a Hard Disc Drive.

They are completely different disc drives.

Take a look at the Solid State Drive. It is completely electronic without moving parts.

Take a look at the Hard Dick Drive. It is essentially a record player inside a disc drive. 

You have the record player and I have an MP3 player. We both need to find the beginning of the 3rd song on the album. I press a button twice and it's already there. You have to take the arm of the record and search for it manually. 

The information contained in the SSD drive is just as quick as an MP3 player because it lacks that platter and arm that needs to move to the right spot before it will display. 

That means that you will be able to navigate Windows a LOT quicker. I do however recommend a 250GB SSD. Anything smaller and you will probably regret it. A 120GB SSD will leave the user with about 80GB after Windows is installed. I know Windows isn't 30GB but with Hibernation and everything else, that's what's left.

Yes you should. If you don't a WD Black is good. Oh... The Samsung Evo is a good choice. 

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Since there's no more security updates for windows 7, I would have to say that's a solid deal. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.