Why do I get nightmares if I don't cover my body with blankets?

My name is David Nolan, I'm 24. Every night I go to sleep, I must cover my full body with blankets or else I'll get really vivid nightmares. The dream is so scary and real that it wakes me up and if I were to write it down it would make a really awesome horror movie.

Most of the time my body is fully covered so most are normal nights, I get a normal dream or may not dream at all like normal people but sometimes by any means if my blanket leaves my body or I fell asleep while lying down then it's a fact that I will get nightmares, and after I wake up, I immediately try to hide myself or cover my ventral side and after a minute or so I eventually realize that it was just a dream.

I do have a mental illness called social anxiety and mild depression. So my question is does this happen to anyone else? Is it related to my mental health? Why does it happen to me?

I don't want it to go away though, it may be scary but it's totally harmless so it's kinda fun.

Nothing is wrong of course. We all have different personal habits when it's question of sleeping.

The blankets are "safety blankets." (I answered this question before.  Please refer to my longer and more complete answer.)  There is nothing wrong with using your blanket to shield yourself from the unpleasantness of everyday Life, especially if you have problems dealing with it.  It gives you a warm and safe feeling much like a baby feels in the arms of his mother.  Again, there is nothing wrong with this feeling or behavior. 

• Brian

Say these magic words three time before you go to sleep: "I will not dream of Bunnies"

If no one has ever told you this response before, you need to hear it:

Your disposition of not having nightmares if you are covered in blankets is caused literally by the weight of the blankets.

Weight of blankets in this context is the equivalent of a baby being secured in their mother's arms when trying to sleep.  It's also why it's much harder for said baby to fall asleep being put in a rocker or bed, as opposed to how much easier it is for the baby to fall asleep when being carried by mom.

The translation here is weight, it's security, it's warmth.  It's all 3.  When you're buried under blankets when trying to fall asleep - you've increased the weight, that increases warmth, and that increases the feeling of security.  Not objective security that you can convince yourself of, but the natural subconscious perception of security.

And if you've reached security, your brain, [again the non controllable subconscious part] will respond less to reacting to fear - replacing said fear by the security it believes it has.

Calm down and take your schizo meds davey boy

I'm guessing that you are on some kind of medication like Ritalin