Can hot water cause third degree burns?

My parents left me with our relatives when I was a kid and when I was alone with them apparently I had third degree burn apparently they said they  *accidently * spilled hot water on me while I was running the water was boiled in oven in container twice my size.

Now I am older it seem so fishy to me the burn is so clean in circular shape in my shoulder if it was truly spilled from above it should have touched my neck at least or my arm but there is none of that , they said they *immediately* took me to the hospital and that the water touched me for one second only and they immediately pulled me off but i heard one second of hot water can't cause third degree burn .

What's your opinion could they have burned me by something else ON PURPOSE ?

It all depends on the temperature of the water.  The hotter it is, the faster a burn occurs.  Boiling water can cause a 2nd or 3rd degree burn almost instantaneously.  

You are right to be suspicious of the story though - the circular spot doesn't seem to fit the pattern you would expect from splashed water.  There are alternative reasons why the story seems off.   One possibility is that your memory of the explanation is not accurate.  Maybe someone was boiling water but the burn actually occurred from touching some object that heated up while the water was being prepared.  Or maybe your relatives lied to cover up some stupid accident or  intentional abuse.  Who knows?

• Lili

The very first question to be asked here is, what makes you thnk the burn was 3rd-degree?

The people who told you this may well be wrong. Laypeople don't necessarily know what represents what type of burn.

My husband as a toddler pulled a saucepan of boiling water off the stove and was burned on his shoulder.  He still has the scars and is 67.  But these were not 3rd-degree burns. They were 2nd-degree.

A 3rd-degree burn would have required hospitalization and a skin graft. It would have been extremely painful. I don't think you had one, no matter what the cause was.

Somebody touched you with the tip of a hot hair dryer the kind with the circular mouth. And then they made up a lie to hide the truth somebody burned you on purpose with a hair dryer.

• Marc

Boiling water can certainly cause 3rd degree burns. But it would be impossible to figure out what happened to you unless someone admitted to something or you caught someone in a lie. Something sounds fishy here but i dont think you will ever get to the bottom of it

First, a first degree burn is a sunburn like burn--red; second degree is blistering and third degree is charring into deeper tissues like muscles==it usually needs skin grafts if large.  So I doubt its 3rd. But a drop of water can be round, or not.  An opinion on whether some one burned you on purpose is really not very useful. You need to just move along from this and let it go.

Water over about 140 Degrees F can cause burns to the skin. Just one second of exposure can cause damage.