My Chevy HHR horn won't stop.?

So, I have a 2007 Chevy HHR and one day the horn would not stop sounding off. It got much worse, as I shut the car off and removed the key from the ignition switch, the horn continued to sound off. I literally had to get some early plugs while my neighbors looked on with frustration and annoyance on their faces. Once I located the relay from the cover information under the hood and removed it the horn finally turned off. Problem is, anytime I tried to put the relay back in, the horn would sound off all over again. Was just wondering if any HHR owners have experienced this in the past? if so, how did you bypass this issue or remedy? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Switch is bad, relay is bad or relay control wires is shorted to ground or power.  Put a new relay and see if it fixes the problem.  If not, you need to see a good mechanic with an access to the car's horn wiring diagram.  If you want to mess with the switch, DISCONNECT the battery first.

The contact points on the relay may have welded themselves together. Maybe you should attempt to actually replace the relay with a new one.

IF that doesn't fix it then the horn button wire may have shorted to ground somewhere. Typically when they short it is in the vicinity of the steering wheel column.

I had an issue, exactly as you described with your HHR, but mine was with a 1995 Buick Regal (a GM product, like yours).  On mine, the horn switch got stuck and needed to be replaced.  Unfortunately, it would have been an expensive fix because the switch is integral to the air bag, which meant replacing an expensive air bag.  Fortunately, I was VERY lucky in that the air bag had been recalled, so it costed me nothing out of pocket.  As for suggestions, I would recommend attempting to trace the short.  If you say it's the relay, see if there is a short on the switch side of the relay.  If there is, pull the fuse out for the air bag, remove the air bag, and check the switch there.  DO NOT PROBE WIRES WRAPPED IN YELLOW.  Those are for the air bag and have nothing to do with horn switch.