Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

How do you prevent muscle cramps after running?

I heard salt water helps but I have high blood pressure so salt is bad for me. I only take a sip of water before running 2 hours.

Normally don't have cramps while running but afterwards I get painful muscle cramps and spasms in my abs and chest. 

Friend let me confront you with some hardcore evidence and you take it from there how many saltwater fisherman do you know that have ever died from high blood pressure or heart attack!? It doesn't happen! Could it be that somebody is telling a lie somewhere? Is salt really the cause of high blood pressure and heart problems or is it the cure? Examine the hardcore evidence! And then you decide who's scamming who

• .

Things that can help reduce the chances of cramps are making sure you stay well hydrated, making sure your electrolytes are not too low (although you say you can't consume salt, cramps can occur when you lose too many electrolytes through your sweat, which includes salt). Stretching after your run, and foam rolling as soon as you can, may also help reduce the chances of cramps. You can use heat to treat the muscle cramps, including a hot/warm Epsom salt bath or compress. 

.

Talk to your doctor about what electrolyte product is safe for you to take, due to your blood pressure issue and explain why you are asking (due to muscle cramps after running).