Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service · 2 months ago

Cashier pressuring to donate to something?

Do you think it’s rude for the cashier to ask you more than once to donate to a cause they are doing at the time for example;

Would you like to donate to _____? No

Do you want to round up your total to the next dollar it would only be .94? No

Are you sure?

I hate that.. and also its the company who gets money for doing that that gets a tax cut for DONATIONS as they do not declare everything as a donation and even if they do they only have to actually donate 10 percent of what they get.

IF I want to donate to some place.. I KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON MY OWN without seeming to be under pressure and be asked... 

Say you've already donated.

• PAMELA

Yes it is rude and i would not go back to a store that did that, just say that you make donations already to charities of your choice.

• Willie

All you have to do is say sorry not today.

• drip

No, not rude.   Her company has required them to say this. And their boss has reminding them they have to say it to each customer they ring.

Adding on “are you sure” after asking isn’t rude.  Many people do add in then.   Which is why they have been Instructed  to say it.  

I worked at a smaller store that did a St.Jude benefit once a year.  We were required to do the same thing.  The company as a whole did raise a lot of money for the charity.   

So just say. No thanks twice or yes I am sure.  It isn’t the clerks fault.  

If it bothers you that the store is trying to raise money for a charity, tell the store manager. If enough people raise concerns about it, they may bubble it up to their district or regional manager.

It honesty most customers don’t mind and just contribute or say. No thanks.

I really don’t think saying “are you sure” pressuring you.

No, people need to be prompted. We don't need to overthink everything on a daily basis. I really enjoy when a cashier prompts for a donation, and also has insights on the cause or charity. It allows the rest of us to make a difference without having to get overly educated about the issue. When you check in on these charities it feels good to realise that someone down the line got the help they deserved. I would go out of my day to help many people if they came into my world. The cashier is just helping people to help without being the great saviour themselves. You should appreciate that.

Nope it's not rude.  I guess you would prefer the cashier disregard the instructions given by her manager, and lose her job.

Do I think it's rude? No. 

I do think the company they work for shouldn't be telling the staff to ask me to donate to their latest charitable venture.

• Kelly

Not really and myself I don't mind donating.

A lot of cashiers are first required to ask based on their employer. 

Some also receive a bonus for x amount of donations or may be having some contest for it.  They are given an incentive to try and get the donations.

Also for the do gooders and their google research, I don't care how much a CEO of any non profit or any organization makes.

At best asking more than once is annoying, not necessarily rude.

• drip

No employees do not receive any kind of kickback from the donations 

They are only supposed to ask once. It can be considered rude but I find it more annoying than anything.