promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

Bright Futures and Graduate School?

I will be graduating with my BA in the span of only 2 years since I received my AA while in High School. Will the 2 years left on the 4 years of the Bright Futures apply to Law School (up to the same amount as undergraduate costs)? 

I'll be speaking to the Financial Aid Office once I begin applying for law school in a year, but wanted to have some prior knowledge on the experience of others. 

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Always remember:  the only person with a bright future is the one who receives the proceeds.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Congratulations.  If you have a high GPA and do well on the LSAT you  may be able to get a full tuition scholarship to Law school which is going to be even better than a carry over.  One of my sons in law got a 100% tuition scholarship to his Law school.  It meant dropping from a top 10 to a top 20 but Big Law employers totally understand.  Then he funded his living costs by clerking for a judge which gave his career a jump start too.

    • ...Show all comments
    • That has not been my  experience.  My son in law got lots of offers and took the best of them.  You have to apply where you are in the top 5% of the applicant pool.  If that pushes you out of Big Law schools, you should find a different career.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    I assume you are in FL?  I think that's the only state that calls their state-funded scholarship program Bright Futures.  

    I found this on their website:

    "A FAS or FMS scholarship recipient, who graduates with a baccalaureate degree in seven or fewer semesters, or in 105 semester hours or fewer, may receive funding for one semester of graduate study, not to exceed 15 credit hours paid at the undergraduate rate. Graduate school funding must be used within the applicable scholarship length."

    So it sounds like they might pay for one semester at the undergraduate tuition rate for the school you attend.  Be aware that professional school tuition (law school, medical school, pharmacy school, etc.) is usually far more than even regular graduate school tuition at an institution.  

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.