Tax question for fafsa?

I was a dependent and my father included my 1098t form in his 2018 taxes. Scholarships exceeded qualified expenses by 4,614.46 and my income was 1600 for that year. I didn't file because I thought I didn't have to file since I didn't earn 12,200. I need to submit fafsa again and it needs my 2018 taxes, which I didn't file. Was I right over the fact that I didn't have to file? If not, do I have to file? Or do I just need a proof of non-filing letter?

• Laurie

Your tax status as a dependent has NOTHING to do with FAFSA dependent/i dependent status. They are completely separate determinations.

You can get the Verification of Non-filing Letter - from the IRS to provide proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year you requested... but that doesn’t confirm whether or not you SHOULD have filed.

• di

You need a proof on non-filing letter. Unless your financial aid was Work-Study, it is not taxable income - your father probably used the 1089T to claim an educational credit of some sort.

"question"

> proceeds to ask THREE questions