fadan asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 2 months ago

should non-canadians be allowed to own property in canada or invest in the real estate in canada?

I think non-canadians should be prohibited from investing or owning real estate in canada.

if this were to become law then trillion of equity would be wiped out overnight. entitled millennials like myself would finally be able to own a house in vancouver thus ushering a new era in peace and prosperity.

what do you guys think?

I think you have posted that you are a "fellow American;" that you are in middle school; that you are 23 years old; that you are married; that you ares single; that your girlfriend bleaches her "anus."

All interesting.

That's what I think.

The real estate market is the product of supply and demand . Bet you'd be sorry if you bought a house and it continued to go down in value, because of the recession after a housing crash.

The way to get onto the housing market is to buy something small and move up.

Or you could move away. I bought a four bedroom four bathroom house in Halifax NS for $320 000 a couple of years ago....

• JuanB

We live in a global economy.  You cant regulate out the world like that.  There will always be  loop holes and other negative results from any regulations. 

I predict if you did that Millennials like you would likely become unemployed or already low wages be lowered.  Current home owners would go bankrupt as the value of their property is less than their mortgage and kicked out of their houses.  As there are more of them than millennials, you would have fewer home owners than ever.  Banks would own most of the homes, if they didn't become insolvent themselves.Do you know how many foreign businesses own Canadian real estate?  Do you know how many foreign businesses own a Canadian Corporation.

Mexico has a decades old law that foreigners can't own water front property.  Yet I went to visit a retired friend in the condo he bought.  And all his neighbours were all foreigners too, mostly Canadian and American.  

• Jay P

I think you sound like an entitled millennial that wants everything handed to you for little or no work...

Sounds like you are promoting stealing other people's money instead of earning your own.