promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I know people legally have to get new cars at a dealer but why cant we order online from factory ?

It would be much easier if we could order online from the factory with options of our choice because going to a dealership to order a car us almost impossible they will spend hours trying to talk you out of it so they can sell off inventory which is understandable, but sometimes people want to order with the exact options they want but the process for ordering is way too hard

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I believe you can. I know that you can have it delivered. Try going to a website of a car manufacturer. They're be a section for Build Your Own. Try it.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Hyundai were advertising buying cars online

• 2 months ago

So if you want to buy frozen vegetables you can buy them at the factory? No.

Car dealers exist so the factory doesn't have to deal with customers.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Hyundai were advertising buying cars online (UK). I haven't seen it laterly, maybe it didn't work out.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The factory does not have the staff to process thousands of orders from individual buyers all over this country. We're limited to buying what the manufacturer wants us to buy, not what we want to buy. Besides, other than Tesla, the lobby for car dealerships are powerful enough to make it illegal.

• arther
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

you've asked this exact question before. The factory will send you to a dealer thats what the dealer is for, dealing with customers.

• 2 months ago

I realize you're young, and this "sounds" novel, but it's not. 

You realize how difficult it would be, logistically, to get thousands of new vehicles a month to different buyers across the nation? The cost of trucking/train/shipping vehicles would be astronomical. This is why they use distributors. 

Also, it would be cost-prohibitive to have each vehicle built individually on each assembly line. Efficiency models dictate that the workers on the line perform similar tasks in a timely fashion... and trying to get them to create each vehicle on the line in a different manner would slow the entire works. 

These are just two reasons. There are hundreds more. 

• 2 months ago

Nowadays, you could not order exactly what you want. Manufacturers make "packages." My Nissan does not have a sun roof. S model only comes with cloth seats. S is the lowest price model. So I could not order it with those two features. The model with the sunroof in the package would have cost me $10,000 more...not a good deal.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In most states manufacturers can sell directly to consumers.  Most manufacturers rely on the dealers to sell and service their cars and have little interest in owning the dealerships outright.   Manufacturers do not want everyone to customize every car since it makes it more expensive to make.  They can't stop production so they keep manufacturing cars for inventory.  The manufacturer needs to sell them as much as the dealer and they are the ones pressuring dealers to discourage custom orders.

• ...Show all comments
    • ElGrande
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yeah... you're off. You totally leave out the entire distributor model. For example, most of the Toyota dealers in the SE United States use a distributor called Gulf States Toyota. 

• Scott
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

That's the way the industry works.  But Tesla is changing things.  They sell directly to the consumer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.