Would you want to live in a tiny home?

If you would where would you want to live or travel to?  Also, would you want to live in a van that has been converted into a one-room home or in an RV?

I've lived in a truck for adventure, not out of necessity. It was great, lay out some pillows in the truck bed with a canopy, baggage on one side, guns and food on the other. Stop at RV parks to shower. What more do you need?

While a full kitchen is important to me which would be provided in a tiny home, in a long life, and one full of lots of travel and vastly different situations I find the bigger the house, the more people are compelled to fill it with crap they'll never use. They can't handle the empty space so they buy more crap, furnishing 5 rooms when it's just one couple. It's sad really. I've seen a native village in North Dakota (I think) where it's just that. In the space of a small supermarket parking lot there were 100s of tiny homes for widowed little old ladies. That's what I want out of life.

• C

Nooooooo way.  Those are hipster twats.  Here's a thought experiment for you:  The weather outside is terrible, a car splashes dirty water all over soaking you to the bone, your shoes are mucky and sodden too.  Where are you going to hang those things up to dry?  Maybe it was going to a happened anyways, but that chill didn't help, you wake up feverish and shuddering, with a pulsating headache AND an upset stomach.  How's that sleeping loft with that artisan ship ladder working outing for you?  Did you crash into your still muddy, still damp laundry on the way to the throne?  Are you going to make it up and down that ladder multiple times in time?  

I don't deny that it would be really fun to build one.  The first one I ever saw belonged to a couple who took their "tiny great hall" to an SCA event.  I cannot fault their logic that it beat a campaign tent and it was adorable.  The thing is that the people who claim that they're 100% free because they built this impractical thing are in the main hyper-idealistic moochers 100% reliant on goodwill for a pitch.

Since I don't enjoy roughing it anymore when I've wanted to be mobile for sightseeing/adventure purposes I've hired a high spec campervan because decades of thought has gone into all the fittings making using one both intuitive and comfortable and I don't have to worry about it tipping over taking a sharp bend.  Would I live in one full time - nope.  I've found my level.  My home is very small by US standards and though an extra room would be nice it would also become a magnet for junk because we don't "need" it.  We can fit everything we want in order to feel self-sufficient to our circumstances, and still invite friends over comfortably, have two sheds full of tools and benches to tinker about and a small garden.  A smaller house wouldn't kill me but I've found "just right."  A tiny house, nope, nope, nope.  Oh, I've done the being rustic for a week with friends in the highlands with a van with an woodburner.  It was a fun thing to do when you're 22 but most of the fun is actually reminiscing about how uncomfortable it was and how everyone smelled like wet dog and how green ginger wine is only quaffable under those circumstances to distract from the midge bites.  Oh, happy days!

My idea of roughing it, is to be in a Bed and Breakfast Inn, and have to share the bathroom with other guests. Lol

Noooo, I could never live in a tiny house or even consider living in a van.  But, I could live in an RV, traversing across the USA for a summer.

• Mr. P

I could live in a small cabin or RV, but I would need covered work areas, probably a poly greenhouse and storage sheds for tools.

This should be cheaper on tax because my living area itself would be small, and the largest area would be the greenhouse which would be for growing food but not living in. If it were an RV then it may be tax free because you already pay road tax for it, and you can live in it on your own property.

Essentially you only need a bedroom to live in if you have access to other areas.

No, I'm not a tiny person, and where would I put my flat screen T.V, surround sound speakers. the side speakers alone could house two large families, the pro amp weighs 22kg. A dining table that seats eight, the table ware, silver ware, table decorations, table linen, the crystal ware and so on and so forth Good grief I struggle with my three bedroom house (although it is rather large), I definitely couldn't do tiny.

• y

I do, at times, think about that but my tools, I don't know what I wold do without my tools and currently, they would fill one of those tiny houses by themselves.

No tiny home, no van, and an RV only if I had to. [George Carlin "A place for my stuff"] I prefer hotels.

Tiny wouldn't work for me. I like my things, and that's one of the class of items a tiny home, converted bus, or RV can't handle much of. I also cherish alone time, which is impossible to do in a tiny home when you're both there.

I have online friends who bought a tiny home when they married. They were so pleased to live simply and cheaply--until they realized there was no place to put more than one coat apiece, in a winter climate, no spot for a litter box or to hang leashes and doggie coats, no room for kitchen appliances, and lots more things that are pretty basic to many people living in the US.

In the end, they sold it for about what they'd paid and bought a condo that's 1200 square feet or so. It suits them much better.

• Todd

I ran across a really good article in Popular Mechanics about transforming an old school bus -- which you can buy for about $4000 -- into a mobile home . After looking at the author's bus home, which looked like a luxurious flat, I became convinced that it's a very viable concept. My problem is, what in the heck would I do with my piano??? I don't like electronic keyboards. I'd have to have a secondary living place like a cabin fastened to the ground to store stuff.

My motivations would likely be related to health (unable to clean anything larger) or finances.  If that were the case I'd probably live on a cheap plot of land, but would at least like it to be scenic.