Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Am I essentially screwed if I still have bad vision even with my glasses on?

I'm 26, and have suppose to been wearing glasses my whole life, but stopped wearing them around 13. I noticed lately my vision is terrible to the point I can hardly make out street signs, even with my glasses on. Am I screwed, or can my doctor get me prescription glasses based on the vision I have now? 

If you're trying to wear the glasses now that you wore when you were a young teen, it's no wonder they don't work well for you any longer. Your eyes have changed.

Go to an optometrist, get your eyes examined, and obtain new glasses according to the results of the exam. Optometrists have post-graduate degrees in optometry, which involves measuring your eyes for needed corrections, as well as looking for any obvious medical issues that need to be treated by an ophthalmologist (medical doctor specializing in eye conditions).

Do yourself a favor and get an eye exam! They will be able to determine if there are any other problems with your eyes. You will get a current prescription for new glasses. Wear your new glasses all the time as you will get used to them! Nothing to be ashamed of by wearing glasses as most people will need to wear them during their life! With your new glasses you will see just fine!

Yes, see an ophthalmologist.

Duh. Go see (I crack me up) your optometrist.

All you need to do is to go to an optician/optometrist and get your eyes checked.  You can then get your current prescription and order your glasses.  The old prescription is way out of date.  The average person (at least here in the UK) has an eye test every 2 years if they need glasses.  Those who don't wear them generally wait until they have  problem.

Go get them checked.  You will be amazed at how bright and colourful the world is!