Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

Is my eyesight too bad to drive if I can only make out the big speed limit numbers, but can hardly read the smaller letters/numbers?

I noticed a few years ago that I can see very clearly close up, but can only see blurry far away. I can still make out cars, and people, but when it comes to signs, suck as street signs, I cant make out what they say until I'm like 50-60 feet away. I can easily make out the speed signs though. 

• David

This is an oddly worded question. The proper answer is, you need to get your eyes tested at the DMV. They will most likely tell you that you need glasses, and put a restriction on your driver's license stating that you need glasses or contact lenses, if you are driving.

But is your eyesight too bad to drive? Probably not, if you get a good pair of glasses.

Every state I have ever heard of has an eye exam to go with their driver's licence testing.  If you have an eye doctor, schedule a visit.  If you DON'T have an eye doctor, get one.  Your condition, nearsightedness, is easily corrected with eyeglasses or even contact lenses.  What is more important?  Your safety or a few dollars for an eye visit?  If you are lucky, you can get some relatively cheap glasses in a cheap plastic frame.  There is a world out there that is more than 60 feet from you, just waiting for you to see it.

As a part of getting your driver's license, they should have given you an eye exam.  Either you passed or you are suppose to see an eye doctor to have prescription lenses for when you drive.  You probably can go into DMV and have a quick eye exam to check whether you need glasses while driving.  Or it is a quick check to an Optomotrist for that.

, Street signs are a pain to read.   I study a paper map and know the streets around the street I am looking for.

.   The advantage to driving glasses.  That "is a chick" not an ugly hippy that you just passed.  So pick her up.

You'll be given an eye exam. If you don't pass - no license.

Do everyone a favor and stay off the road until you get your eyes checked.

It is bad enough that you should get prescription eyeglasses and wear them to drive.

Book an eye test, don't drive until you have the results.

Too much trolling is very bad for your eyesight.

They make glasses for that.

• Periferalist

Nicholas- Set up an appointment with your eye doctor ASAP. You may have astigmatism, a cataract or both.

Here in the UK you are required to be able to read a car number plate from 20 metres, with glasses or lenses as necessary, and if you do need glasses or lenses you must wear them when driving. Don't know what the rules are wherever you are,  but it sounds like you need to visit your optician. 

• audrey

Have you tried GLASSES?

• Nicholas2 months agoReport

My vision is like that even with my glasses on