promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jordan asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Do race horses pee more than regular horses?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

No. I am assuming you are referring to the the phrase "piss like a race horse." The original expression was "piss like a horse" first used around the mid 20th century with the first documented use was in 1969 in New American Review. Since by that time most Americans were not all that familiar with horses, the expression got changed to race horse, with the idea that the diuretics they were given made them super good at urinating. Lots of debate on that.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

All that running must really make them process whatever water is in them.

• 2 months ago

No. The term "pee like a racehorse" comes from decades ago when trainers gave diuretics ("water pills") to get several pounds of water weight off the horse right before the race to help the horse run faster.

• 2 months ago

yes and no. i have a thoroughbred i do barrels with and a couple old retired ranch quarters. now granted im not running in the grand prix, but my thoroughbred on average pees more, but he also drinks more too, so that kinda equals its self out. they can only pee as much as they can drink, so a horse that drinks more, will by default also pee more. that being said, my old ranch horses have had quite an eventful exciting life and drank more to accommodate for their higher activity and exhertion levels, so had to pee more when they did so. Hofgufa (my barrel horse) threw a shoe a couple weeks ago, and ive noticed his water intake has dramatically lowered. i believe this is due to activity level and hydration demands. no activity means no excessive need for the water, so less drinking, which causes less peeing

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.