Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

Do frogs eat dead insects?

I plan on getting a frog soon, and it seems like their diet consists of live insects. I personally do not think I'd be able to handle live insects, so I want to know if they will eat them if they're dead. 

they will not eat dead insects

• Ocimom

Nope.  they stalk and catch their meals on the ground or in the air - has to be moving to attract the frog.

A frog wont know that a dead insect is supposed to be food because they are used to hunting.  However you should not let that stop you.  When you buy live insects from the store for food they are in a convenient container so you never have to touch them.  Just pour them into the frogs aquarium and let him do the hunting!

A frog's hunting strategy is movement based. A bug can be right in front of them, but as long as it isn't moving they won't eat it. As for handling live insects, it's actually quite easy. When I had a praying mantis as a pet a few years ago we would go to Pet Smart to purchase crickets. We kept them in a large plastic container with a hole cut in the lid, then we glued a paper towel on the underside. That way they can't escape, and it provides the crickets with enough ventilation to breathe. We would put carrots in there and a Gatorade bottle cap filled with water. You need to really make sure that they have enough food, because crickets can be cannibalistic. Another thing frogs will eat is dubia roaches. (I will leave a care link in my sources) Live insects are cheap to purchase, easy to keep alive, and great food for your reptiles and amphibians. If you don't want to be continually purchasing insects you can look into breeding them. Also make sure you pay attention to how much chitin (what their exoskeleton/outer skin is made of) they have as well. If their exoskeleton has a lot of chitin, it could cause impaction issues, which causes the animal to have trouble passing it through and pooping it out which can cause multiple problems.

Frogs detect prey by movement. If you move something slowly, and that something is small enough, then the frog will try to eat it. I used to buy about a thousand crickets at a time from a cricket farm. I pick out all the males because they make noise and I put them inside a ziploc bag and put the bag in the freezer. I keep the females around to feed them to the frogs. When the female crickets are all gone, I feed the frozen male crickets to the frogs. I take a few of them out at a time and allow them to thaw completely. Then I use a metal wire (make sure it is stainless steel so you do not poison your frog with heavy metals like zinc) and I use the wire to poke into the dead insect. I also coat the crickets with calcium powder. Then I move the wire slowly back and forth in front of the frog. They snap up the insect quickly without problem. In fact, you can even attach a piece of lean beef to the wire and feed it to the frogs. Some people use forceps to feed their frogs dead insects or meat.  Pet stores sell stainless steel forceps to allow people to feed their lizards, snakes, salamanders and frogs. Grab the insect or beef near one end and move it about an inch or two in front of the frog. It may duck at first due to the movement but it will soon realize that food is available and lunge at it.

• oikoσ

Frogs will turn up their noses at any food that is not moving. If you jiggle the insects in front of them, they might take them. I had frogs that would eat bacon that way, not that I recommend that as a steady diet. If you don't like live insects, try worms or other small animals. One warning, avoid a steady diet of "armored" insects, like mealworms. The plates on their backs can cause intestinal impaction.

A frog will starve to death before it eats a dead insect you can get mealworms in the pet store and you can go to fishing stores and get crickets neither of those are dangerous to handle. And they're very convenient to purchase.

If you are getting an aquarium frog - Your frog's main food should be pellets that sink to the bottom of the tank, where they most often inhabit. Other foods they will eat include frozen or freeze-dried brine shrimp, bloodworms and tubifex worms as occasional treats.

They won't eat them if they aren't moving. 

just try it and see and then you'll know

• oikoσ

Why don't we feed you the same food that you hate to "see" if you will survive?