Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

Do weight or height percentiles stay the same throughout your life, or can they change?

Do you stay on the same percentile? I’ve heard that some kids can be small for their age as pre-teens, but then catch up and be bigger than everyone at late teens. I’ve also heard of larger pre-teens and everyone catches up to them later. My mom said though that everyone stays on the same percentile their whole life. Like is it possible for someone to be at the 5th percentile for weight or height at 10, then later the 95th percentile at 17?

of course they change.  When you have a growth spurt or simply gain weight you change.

My son was only 50 pounds last year at 9. Now at 10 he is 80 pounds. 4'5 inches.  He is still short but his weight is average now. He used to be underweight and weight wise was in the 10th percentale. Now weight wise he is in the 50th percentale. My daughter is only a few inches shorter then my son and she is 7. Her weight is 40 pounds. Average weight and average height. 

My son at 14 was 5' 4" and the shortest kid around. He's now grown and 6' 1".

People can definitely go up and down in percentiles. My son was in the 3rd percentile as an infant and toddler... now as a ten year old, he's in like the 95th. If your mom was correct, then there would be very few obese people...

Depends on the person.  Until 5th grade, I was in a higher height percentile.  Then I stopped growing at 4'11", and ended up in a lower percentile.  My weight percentile dropped as well.  Obviously if you're thinner and put on weight but don't grow in height, you're going to go in weight percentile.  Height/weight percentiles should remain fairly consistent throughout infancy and toddlerhood, but then can start to vary.