promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If you work in a senior living facility & got the job for activities does that mean like playing bingo or games with them?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

More than bingo. Singing, art, field trips, choirs coming in and singing at Xmas, exercise geared to their abilities, Bible study, ANY interest.

We may be old, but we have not lost our brains, have not lost interest in the things that we have always been interested in.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Jeremy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Just request a job description then you will know exactly what will be expected of you.  Activities 'could' mean games such as you mention but it could also mean that you would have to take them out into the fresh air in their wheelchairs or go into town, walking slowly with them whilst holding one of their arms to prevent falling. It could also mean supervising any hobbies they have.  Some will be more agile and  mobile than others so some might like to knit whilst others wish to play table tennis, paint or draw, knit or crochet or play board games such as ludo, snakes and ladders, or many others.  Believe me, it won't all be fun for you. That's why it's a paid job and not a voluntary post.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you have the job then you should know what to do, and not all elderly people like bingo, i am 70 and hate it! an old person has lived their lives, done plenty of things, now all they want to do is to meet friends, go for walks,do some shopping, visit the theatre maybe,read the books that they never had time to read before, watch a bit of tv, go online,see their children and grand children, when they want to of course! Why should an elderly person want to play games, we are not children!

• Snid
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Really easy Bingo would work.  Also simple arts and crafts.  Even coloring (good for motor skills).  Sing a longs.  Having a school choir come perform.  Maybe a therapy dog.  Everything would have to be approved I'm sure.  An ice cream social for those who are allowed.  Putting together a puzzle.  A big one that you can leave up on a table somewhere.

You will always get residents who will complain and grumble but most will love actually doing something fun.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It could. My friends works as an activity coordinator at a senior care facility. He job includes decorating for each of the holidays, crafts and make and takes, music, outings.  

Each facility will have their own requirements for the job. 

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It could mean that, but it could also mean appropriate physical exercise, or shopping trips, or movies, or crafts.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes. And I hope you have more imagination than BINGO.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.