Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 2 months ago

If a file is deleted on my computer can my school see that it was deleted? ?

I'm a student at an online school. We are given computers to learn like you do in school. I had an assignment due today and my sister had my computer last night and I went to edit it to make sure it's perfect and I can hand it over but when I went to go check the entire file was deleted. I checked every single place where deleted files could go and found nothing. Can my school can see that the file was deleted by hand or not? 

Typically, nobody could tell that a file existed but was deleted unless very highly specific conditions were met, AND it would take advanced security software to prove the point.  I'd say that if you checked the trash folder for the drive where you were working and you couldn't find it, then it is gone for good.

Your school probably has bigger fish to fry than investigate your computer. Deleted files can be recovered with a piece of software you can obtain provided the space has not been overwritten with something else. When you delete, the file is still there but the space it occupies is marked as available. Your best option is to do backups.

• Steven

If you are disable to found it, then surely it is in the computer, so you have to check in the trash and the location where your file was located and that could be you have rename the file by mistake or move. 

Find you deleted files / Rubbish bin / Trash bin, click on that. If your file is there right click on it, one of the options is "un-delete" or something similar.

If your school has a cloud system (check with them) they will have copies.

• Servus

If you know the file type you saved it is a you can use a program like photorec to recover the deleted file. 

Nope. Sucks to be you.

First of all, explain to your school what happened, to the best of your ability.  Part of being responsible is to give people as much notice as possible when you anticipate problems.  Can they see that the file was deleted?  Possibly.  If they can, they can verify your story.  But whether they can or not, you still need to get the assignment in.

Second, the easy things.  I assume that you checked the Recycle Bin or Trash or whatever.  Open whatever editor you used to edit your assignment, and see if there is a Recent Documents or similar thing under File or Open.  That might find the document, if you inadvertently saved it in an unusual place, or with an unexpected name.

Third, the harder things.  Do a file search on the whole computer for your file.  If that fails, you could search the internet for file undelete utilities, to try to undelete your file.  However, it may actually be easier to simply re-create the assignment.  That doesn't take as long as you might think, since you went through the whole thing once, already.

In the future, you probably want to make backups of your assignments on a USB flash drive, since the computer is shared with others.

if the school OWNS the computer then they likely can

if they dont own the computer then they cant.

• P

There are tools to undelete files, but a school would be very unlikely to provide assistance using them. 

• Mark

If it's not on the school network, no.