Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

My ex-husband has married a Millionaire, and now he has nothing to do with our son. Can I take him to court for more Chid Support?

My ex-husband didn't cheat on me, or anything. Neither I or my ex-husband are wealthy. We are the typical working class people. When we bought our home, we bought a simple 3 bed 2 bathroom 1,500 square foot home in an upcoming suburb of Dallas. When he met his current wife he (in 2016) and I had been divorced for five years. He payed child support and he would come and pick our son up for his visitation, regularly. 

His new wife is 20 years younger than my ex-husband. She didn't have any kids when they met, and he was working an average job, making about 60-70K a year. 

Fast forward, after they got married, 2017, he has chosen not come see his son anymore. No phone calls, no nothing. He does still send his child support check. In 2018 she gave birth to a son, which my son has never met. I finally found out where they live, and it is a 12,000 square foot mansion in Dallas. The new, young wife, is a worth over 50 million dollars. My ex-husband still works at the same job he had when we got divorce, and he pay is still the same. However, one of my friends say that because my son deserves to live the same way his dad is living, I should be able to take him back to court and they will base child support on his new wife's income. 

What are your thoughts? What would you do? Especially since our two lifestyle are drastically different, and my son hasn't even been invited over to see his new little brother?

Look up Michigan law. 

You will note that the amount of child support is determined using the guidelines established by the Supreme Court. Child support guidelines are based on the monthly net income of both parents(birth mother and birth father) and the time the child spends with each parent.  Other household earnings/income are NOT considered.

You can but you will not win anything.. CHILD SUPPORT IS BASED ON HIS INCOME NOT HIS NEW WIFE'S... 

HER INCOME cannot even be counted in it.. 

• Keith

If shes his support financially, but if the decree is based on prior signing no. If your receipts show  need for more money, then since hes not hand to mouth, it will not be difficult for him to cough up support money based 0n inflation

I would say no, but go ask a lawyer.  If he HAD a job where he PERSONALLY made that kind of money then you could, but his new wives income has nothing to do with what he earn, therefore his wife is not responsible in any way.  At least that is how it goes in my state.

• Alan H

Check with the local rules

In the UK if circumstances change Child Support may go down or (as in this case) up

The forum that made the initial decision will advise 

Child support is based on the father's income. Not the income of his millionaire wife. Why on Earth would his wife be responsible to pay for somebody else's child. ? I am shocked beyond belief that you would even consider listening to your ridiculous friend, who knows nothing about child support.

It's unfortunate that his dad no longer wishes to see him although that may be his wishing to cooperate with the desires of his new wife. The fact that he's now living a higher lifestyle will most likely not affect any future child support decision that the court may make as this is her money and not his. As long as he is paying the required support and is not in arrears it is fairly certain that the court will keep the amount the same or slightly increase it to consider inflation since it's award. But, your son is not entitled to her money.

That's messed up that your Ex is a deadbeat. What does his new wife have to do with that though? Her money is hers. No court is going to make her shell out money for a child that isn't hers. Your kid isn't her responsibility.

No. Save your time and your money; you cant force his new wife to pay for your child. You're the one feeling salty that he found someone better, at least income wise. You werent married to her you were married to him. His income and your income is what matters for the child ya'll have together.

Envy and jealousy doesnt make it ok or right for you to try and squeeze money out of the his new wife via him; its her money, not his, and certainly not yours.

No sense in wasting money getting an attorney, you will lose.

• Eva

Child support is based on your ex's income alone. What his wife makes or has makes no difference in the amount of support you receive. Taking him back to court would be fruitless. Child support is determined by a state formula.